Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coyland. Drum Major DCM

Howard

Does anyone know of a Drum Major Coyland and how he got the DCM at the battle of Loos in 1915?

Any information would be helpful. My grandfather got a MID "at the same time as Drum Major Coyland got the DCM". At least I think it is Coyland, the writing in my grandfather's letter is not 100% clear.

Thanks

Howard

post-991-1118055587.jpg

there is csm coughlan who won his dcm with the 1st middlesex, it is the 1st middlesex?

there is csm coughlan who won his dcm with the 1st middlesex, it is the 1st middlesex?

Hi Enoch

Yes it is the 1st Middlesex. My Grandfather's spelling was sometimes odd so it may well have been Coughlan as you suggest.

Is there any way to get details or perhaps a citation for this DCM?

Thanks

Howard

I have got him in Walkers but cannot find him in the gazettes online. You having any better luck Steve.

11622 CSM Coughlan, J.E. 1st Btn Middlesex Regiment, L.G. 11-3-16

Andy

Many thanks for your efforts, it does look like this is the bloke. The image here is part of a letter written after the war by my Grandfather and is what sparked the request. As usual, he was moaning about his pay!

Being written after the war, no doubt without notes, his memory of rank (Drum Major not CSM) and the spelling could well have been that different.

Much appreciated guys.

Howard

post-991-1118071391.jpg

Howard,

Interesting letter.

Andy

Howard,

Interesting letter.

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes indeed. The bit that always gets me is "... and carried on" !!!!

Had I been there I am sure I would have been scared witless, they "carried on". I know the Brits are famous for understatement but.......

Howard