Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another forgotten hero?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I was reading the 1/5th East Lancashire War Diary today and came across the entry for 22 December 1915, which told the story of 2/Lt Smith who whilst bombing let a grenade slip from his hand into his trench. Fearing for the safety of his men he fell on the grenade to save them. The diary said no more and no further mention was made of the incident.

I checked up is name on the CWGC website and was relieved to find that this brave man had been awarded the VC.

I was touched by this incident and just had to post it on the forum.

Here's to the memory of 2/Lt Alfred Victor Smith VC 1/5th East Lancashire Regiment.

'No greater love hath man than to lay down his life for his friends'

Ian

:ph34r:

I wouldn't exactly classify him as "forgotten". He's regarded as one of Burnley's 2 VC winners and is regularly mentioned in the "Burnley Express" around remembrance day. There's also a larger than life portrait of Smith hanging in Townely Hall in Burnley, depicting him in uniform holding a grenade. Various artifacts linked to him also exist in Townely's collection.

Dave.

....2/Lt A.V.Smith VC. (Photo taken in 1914.This photo is the one upon the which the afforementioned portrait is based)

post-1-1057452752.jpg

Interestingly he doesn't appearr in the book 'Devotion to Duty' by James Bancroft about the VC winners of the Manchester area. (Probably his cut-off point for 'Manchester Area' is around Bury). Incidentally this is one of those nice local history publications which turn up in remainder bookshops from time to time. Although not as authoritative as the Sutton VC volumes it contains odd snippets of information not found there and some good illustrations of VC incidents by the late Rick Scollins.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that "Devotion to Duty" just covers the area that is now known as "Greater Manchester".

Mementoes of Smith can also be found in Blackpool as well as Burnley. Townely Hall in Burnley displays his VC and C.de.G.

Dave.