Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soham

Boreenatra

thanks for posting it Steve it is now added to fav's,

mandy

Steve,

It is a great site though Martin says he is getting a little bogged down with the amount of interest paople have shown.

Andy

Was checking for some info on the Rough Riders when I came across this site

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridgeshire/Soham.html

Lovingly compiled by Martin Edwards and Cliff Brown and is a credit to them.

:) Thanks for posting about this site. Have only had chance to have a quick look so far but have added to favorites for future when have more time. As there seem to be links to all sorts of information about the area and Regiments I could find myself spending some time there.

Regards

Keith

Wasn't it Soham where there was very nearly a disaster during WW2 when a train carrying bombs to a nearby airfield caught fire?

The signal box outside Soham saw the fire, told the station and stopped everything on the line. The stationmaster stood on the platform and waved the train through (the driver and crew knew of the fire). The train eventually blew up just outside the town. The stationmaster and crew of the train were killed.

I think I have the story more or less correct. The station is some way outside the town itself I think, which may make it a bit clearer. Its a long time since I came across the story.

Surprising that there is no memorial to the men who were killed preventing an catastrophe in the town.

There were posters on the London Underground recently commemorating the men's bravery, so they have not been entirely forgotten. Whether anybody else, read them apart from me is another matter....

Steve.

Thanks for that.

Nice as well to know that I haven't lost my memory entirely.

You'll find another memorial to this incident in Littleport. Jim Nightall (also spelt Knightall) came from Littleport and so a board commemorating the event can be seen on the wall of the local library.

Every year, on remembrance sunday, the Littleport branch of the RBL lead a parade past the library and we pay our compliments (eyes left) on the way. Last year an ex British Rail worker donated the money for us to place a wreath at the memorial and we are in negotiation with WAGN to see if they will pay for a wreath in future years.

So you can rest assured that while I am poppy Appeal Organiser and Parade Marshal in Littleport 'We will remember them'.

Garth