Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt A McKimmie RFC

AGWR

I would be very grateful if anyone could provide me with details of how this chap ( a step great-uncle) died and/or any details of his flying career. I can't seem to find him in 'The Sky Their Battlefield' Does this mean that he did not die as result of enemy action? Any information gratefully received.

Regards,

AGWR

Name: McKIMMIE

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 6th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 23/05/1917

Additional information: Son of George and Jane McKimmie, of 42, Undercliff Rd., Lewisham, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

AGWR

Lt Alexander Ian McKimmie (pilot) [formerly Seaforth Highlanders and West Yorkshire Regiment] and Lt Charles Gordon Brodie (observer) [formerly 5th Battalion, The London Regiment] were killed in an accident while flying in RE 8 A4198 of No 6 Sqn RFC on 23 May 1917.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Gareth,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this information. I can't believe that it took so long for someone in the family to mention his existence in passing. At least, I have been promised his medals and personal effects in the near future. :)

Thanks again.

Regards,

AGWR

• 6 years later...
1117897915[/url]' post='266357']

Gareth,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this information. I can't believe that it took so long for someone in the family to mention his existence in passing. At least, I have been promised his medals and personal effects in the near future. smile.gif

Thanks again.

Regards,

AGWR

Here are some more details about what happened to Lt McKimmie and others involved on 23rd May 1917 - two 6 Squadron crews accidentally collided at 6,000 feet on an artillery patrol. Both crews crashed to earth and were killed. They were Lt CG Brodie and Lt A McKimmie in RE8 A4198 and Capt WL Clark and 2Lt HS Diment KIFA in A4594.

Hope this adds something to their memory.

Regards,

Trevor

1321361111[/url]' post='1669151']

Here are some more details about what happened to Lt McKimmie and others involved on 23rd May 1917 - two 6 Squadron crews accidentally collided at 6,000 feet on an artillery patrol. Both crews crashed to earth and were killed. They were Lt CG Brodie and Lt A McKimmie in RE8 A4198 and Capt WL Clark and 2Lt HS Diment KIFA in A4594.

Hope this adds something to their memory.

Regards,

Trevor

Thanks for that information.Is there a good source of info for A.mckimmie,s career up to that point do you know ? It is just that he was my great uncle and my sons are very interested !