Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli - Battalion Headquarters & Aid Posts

Orion

Hello,

My grandfather served with the 1st Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers in Gallipoli. He fought at V-Beach, Gully Ravine and at Suvla. He was a Orderly Room Clerk attached to Headquarters, and Company Quartermaster Sergeant Drummer. I assume that as company Quartermaster Sergeant he would have travelled back and forth between the front lines and battalion headquarters, securing supplies, etc. for the battalion.

Can anyone shed any further light on the duties of a Company Quartermaster Sergeant?

Also, I am wondering if maps exist showing the locations of the regimental aid posts, and more importantly the locations of the Battalion Headquarters throughout the campaign?

Would they perhaps be located in the National Archives files along with the Battalion's War Diary in reference: WO95/4310?

Pardon my niavity on this subject but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Hi Steve,

Thanks for asking.

My grandfather, Stephen “Patch” Filbey, service number 6662, was a career soldier in the 1st Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Upon his discharge in 1923 he had attained the rank of Company Quartermaster Sergeant Drummer. During World War One he participated in the Gallipoli Campaign including the disastrous landings on V-Beach at Cape Helles on April 25th,1915.

He enlisted in the British Army at the age of 14 in 1899 as a 'drummer boy', and saw service in Crete, Malta, Egyptian Sudan, India, Gallipoli, and Paschendaele (3rd Ypres).

I have a very intriguing story to tell about him but will do so tomorrow as it is quite late here now.

Attached are two photos of my grandfather, first in India 1912 as Sergeant Drummer, second at the age of 84 with three of his five grandsons (I am the oldest on his right with his arm around me).

More tomorrow,

Brian

post-4774-1117944532.jpg

post-4774-1117944793.jpg