Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of The Great War, 1914-18 Manchester

mike331278

I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm sure it will be valuable to lots of people, I hope this isn't already posted

The National Roll of The Great War, 1914-18: Manchester

This book has the full 431 pages viewable online, free

Title The National Roll of The Great War, 1914-18: Manchester. Title page.

Creator The National Publishing Company

Description We are proud to include the National Roll of the Great War (Manchester) volume on Spinning the Web. Many of the men who worked in the cotton industry at the outbreak of World War I in 1914 went to war, and many did not return. Shortly after the cessation of hostilities in 1919, the National Publishing Company sought to publish a brief biography of as many of those participating in the war as was possible. The scale of death and destruction of World War I was terrible and unprecedented: the "War to End All Wars" claimed over 9 million lives (with 20 million more injured, maimed and blinded), including the deaths of over a million British and Commonwealth servicemen.

The National Roll of the Great War was published in 14 regional volumes. We have made the Manchester and Salford volumes available on Spinning the Web: the volumes themselves are very rare now and the valuable information stored within them not widely available. Although the publication profiled "only" around 100,000 of the people who served in World War I, the real strength of the National Roll is that many of the entries refer to those who survived the war and is one of the few comprehensive sources of information available.

The Manchester volume records details of approximately 10,000 Manchester men - and women - who served in World War I and includes a brief summary of military service, including awards and dates of demobilisation, injury, or death. Each entry also includes the subject's home address.

We have indexed each surname appearing in the volume. To find an individual name, for example, ACTON, enter the following terms in the "Global Search" at the top of the Spinning the Web screen: "National Roll Great War Acton" and the site should display the entry for the person (or persons) of that name.

The original volume is held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies, where further help and information is available. You may also find it useful to consult the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site at http://www.cwgc.org, which contains the "Debt of Honour Register", the Commission's database listing the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars and the 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations world-wide where they are commemorated. The register can also be searched for details of the 67,000 Commonwealth civilians who died as a result of enemy action in the Second World War.

Michael Lindsay

Hello

But can you search by regiment ? I have yet to find a single coldstream guard mentioned in ANY of this series!

Ian

Looks like all the pages of the book are scanned as jpeg etc and u cannot highlight the text etc so you will prob need to check through the names, they are in alpabetical order, click on the link and have a look :D

Ian

It's not searchable. But the fact you havnt found any Coldstreams yet is just the luck of the draw. Families paid for the entries so there's such as much likelihood of finding a guardsman as any other non-loval regiment. Needless to say, Manchester Regiment features quite highly in this edition.

John

Hello

I will keep looking - may be one day......

Cheers all

Ian