Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDAL INDEX CARDS .

steve140968

:blink: Can anyone please help me in starting a search for an 'Ambrose Shurey' ? Unfortuanately the only information i have is that he served in the 'Dardanelles' . Having already drawn a blank whilst doing a search on the medal card index list i was wondering whether it is possible for a soldier to have been missed off this list ? Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated , thanks .

Steve .

Hi Steve,

There is an MIC for:

Private Ambrose W Shurety, 20285, Wiltshire Regiment

See: Ambrose Shurety MIC

Maybe a mis-spelling?

Stuart

Additionally: If this is your man then, from a quick scan, the only possible Wiltshire battalion would be the 5th (Service) Bn. that were attached as Army Troops to the 13th (Western) Division. This division served at Gallipoli from July to Dec 1915.

he served in the 'Dardanelles'

This is what the Navy called the Gallipoli campaign, so you might need to check their medal rolls too (RN and RNR).

;) Thanks guys . Stuart , this sounded promising so i downloaded his MIC . Next to 'theatre of war' it says (H ??) Balkans , which i assume would be correct , although i don't know what the (H) would stand for , if indeed it is an 'H' . If indeed this is my man i'm unsure as to why he was in the Wiltshire regiment as he lived ' i think' in Middlesex . Would anyone know if the Wiltshire regiment ever recruited in the middlesex area ? The MIC that i downloaded seems to be different to all the others on the sheet , the heading states 1914-15 , i assume that this is a 1914-15 star index card ! It says that the qualifying date was 19/9/1915 , does anyone know what this date represents ? Lastly , next to the heading 'action taken' it says Sect 'B'- any ideas anyone ?

Many thanks in advance ,

Steve .

The Qualifying date is the date when the soldier "entered a Theatre of War". Since the date was before the 31-12-1915, he qualified for the 1914-15 Star.

The code for the Balkans should be 2 (B ) which should be what the H is?

Section 'B' would be probably a transfer at the end of the war to "B" Reserve.

Steve.

;) Thanks Steve , i'll just have to see if i can find out whether these two men are one and the same .

Regards ,

Steve .

Would anyone know if the Wiltshire regiment ever recruited in the middlesex area ?

The old county of Middlesex stretched from Stratford in the East to Uxbridge in the west and covered most of modern London north of the river. So if he was in or near London he could go to any regiment that would take him, I think every English regiment had an office there.

theatre of war' it says (H ??) Balkans , which i assume would be correct

Theatre 2a was Salonika (Greece) and the other Balkan theatres of war.

2b was Gallipoli

The main site says that the first landings in Salonika were in October 1915. The 1914/15 Star medal roll is a good double check for the location.