Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8 Bn South Lancs Thiepval 1916

BULLDOGFOGG

Researching info on part taken by 8 Bn South Lancs at Thiepval on 3rd Jul 1916. Any information would be welcome. Ive got war diary for these dates and would be happy to assist anyone else in return.

regards

Kev Fogg

Remembering - Pte Hugh Shaw 8 Bn South Lancs KIA 3 Jul 1916, buried at Connaught Cemetary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Researching info on part taken by 8 Bn South Lancs at Thiepval on 3rd Jul 1916.  Any information would be welcome.  Ive got war diary for these dates and would be happy to assist anyone else in return.

regards

Kev Fogg

Remembering - Pte Hugh Shaw 8 Bn South Lancs KIA 3 Jul 1916, buried at Connaught Cemetary.

Don't know much about regiments etc, but could the 7th Bn South Lancashire Regiment have been near the 8th Bn at that time? I am researching my G. Grandfather Enoch McNally (16775) who was K.I.A on 5 July 1916. He was a St Helens "PAL" who joined the war in France on 18 July 1915 and is remembered on Thiepval Memorial.

Don't know much about regiments etc, but could the 7th Bn South Lancashire Regiment have been near the 8th Bn at that time? 

The 7th South Lancs were in a different Division to the 8th, but were not all that far away from the 8th Bn.

The 7th were in the Tara-Usna line on 3rd July in preparation for another assault on La Boiselle. On the 5th July, the battalion was holding the ruins of the newly captured (captured the previous afternoon) village under sporadic, but violent, bursts of German artillery.

Dave.