Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/3rd Suffolks

Hello all, I'm hoping for some help from a resident expert or someone who has access to information on the Suffolk regt.

My great grandfather (Charles) Lewis Blakeway, 30980, was a private in the Suffolks and whose death was reported as the 9th April 1918. He was one of the many lost and commemorated on the PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL and also in the church of Marlesford in Suffolk where a little mystery revealed itself to me.

On the "roll of honour" in the church he is listed as being with the 3rd batt Suffolk regt but on the memorial plaque is listed as being with the 1st battalion.

Is it possible that he was transferred from the 3rd which I believe was a reserve battalion which stayed in the uk throughout the war? Is there another possible explanation?

The main thing i'd like to know if it's at all possible is where he was likely to have been on the 9th april 1918 as his surviving correspondence home is personal and doesn't reveal anything.

I've checked the MIC which reveals little, not even the date he was sent to war or signed up.

Any help here would be really appreciated as , like may others here I'm sure, I've become really interested in his life.

What a fantastic forum this is!

Brent

Hi Brent,

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has him in the 11th Battalion which makes more sense as the 1st were in Macedonia at the time.

Andy

Interesting. Yes, the 3rd Bn was a Reserve Battalion, and as such never left Suffol. However, if your g-gdad died with the 1st Suffolks, he shouldn't be on the Ploesteert Memorial, as the 1st Bn was in Salonika for most of the war, and certainly in April '18.

There were several Suffolk Bns in France at the time - 2nd, 1/4th, 7th, 11th, 12th, so you might need to think outside the box here! Sure there are no clues on the MIC?

Brent,

From the History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914 - 1927 the following:-

After a series of marches and a railway journey the battalion arrived at Erquinghem, billeting in La Rolanderie Farm, the brigade reserve position, and on March 30th went into the front line in the Houplines sector, the 34th Division holding a line some 8000 yards in front of Armentieres. Shortly after sunset on 7th April the Germans bombarded the town with gas shells, causing heavy casualties. The 101st brigade being now in corps reserve, the 8th was spent at La Rolanderie, with the 12th Battalion close by at Fleurbaix.

Before dawn on the 9th the enemy opened an intense bombardment south of the Lille railway, but no attack developed along the 34th Division front. At 10 am the 101st brigade as corps reserve was sent off to the south of Bac St. Maur, but an hour later the corps commander came to divisional headquarters and, hearing that the enemy had broken the Portugese front and entered the battle zone of the 40th Division, told Major General Nicholson to use the brigade to cover his own flank. On approaching Bac St. Maur and finding that village in possession of the Germans, the 101st brigade took up a position facing west and south west near Fort Rompu, when fighting began immediately.

Hope this helps a little.

Andy

oops! Well spotted Andy. I totally missed that. It's still a little odd that the parish registers have it wrong on 2 counts though.

Cheers, Brent

Hi Brent,

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has him in the 11th Battalion which makes more sense as the 1st were in Macedonia at the time.

Andy

Brent,

I have come across this many times. The difference can throw you at first.

Andy

It seems he was with the 11th (at least according to the CWGC, how do they have different information? )

This at least gives me another angle to look at.

Thanks, Brent

Interesting.  Yes, the 3rd Bn was a Reserve Battalion, and as such never left Suffol.  However, if your g-gdad died with the 1st Suffolks, he shouldn't be on the Ploesteert Memorial, as the 1st Bn was in Salonika for most of the war, and certainly in April '18.

There were several Suffolk Bns in France at the time - 2nd, 1/4th, 7th, 11th, 12th, so you might need to think outside the box here!  Sure there are no clues on the MIC?

Brent,

The CWGC tends to bemore accurate than many sources.

Andy

Brent,

The CWGC got their info from the Army etc, so "normally" it's more acurate than church or town registers. I've found one recently that has a man belonging to the Devonshire Regiment, but after a little digging, he never joined them (at any stage) and was in the 12th Btn County of London Reg attached to the KRRC.

Never take for granted what is shown on a church plaque - always dig!!

Les.

ps...... I said this was a good place!!! ;)