Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Irish on the Somme

swizz

For anyone who's interested, there's a new book coming out called 'The Irish on the Somme: A battlefield guide to the Irish regiments in the Great War and the monuments to their memory'' by Steven Moore. I can't find it on Amazon but I know its being launched on 16th June so presumably it might appear in shops etc after that. I didn't know anything about this book until I got an invitation to the launch so I thought I'd let this forum know!

Swizz

Hi Swizz,

As a Paddy, I am very interested to hear of this book. Do you have any further details such as the Author and his background?

Regards

Ross.

It's not on The Naval & Military Press lists yet either.

Steven Moore is journalist with the Belfast 'News Letter'.

Don't know the guy but I do know he is a military history enthusiast.

Whenever a mil-hist story comes up in the paper he's usually writing it.

Know he was involved in covering the recent 'Thiepval Dig' .. I'm sure some of the forum members who were on that dig will know the guy.

Cheers

Des

'The uninvited' ^_^

It's being published by 'Local Press' in Belfast who publish several local newspapers. I had a look on the internet but they don't seem to have a website. According to the launch invitation, you can get it by contacting

The Irish on the Somme

Marketing Department

Century Newspapers

46-56 Boucher Crescent

Belfat

BT12 6QY

Credit card bookings are between 9am-1pm and 2-5pm at this number: 028 9068 0115. I should have included that info on the original post if I'd thought. I hope this info doesn't count as advertising (!?)

Other than that, I don't really know much more!

Swizz

The book will be available from 16th June at The Somme Heritage Centre, 233 Bangor Rd, Newtownards, BT23 7PH or The Ulster Memorial Tower, Thiepval, France from approx. 24th June.

• 1 month later...