westkent78

On CWGC there is listed the following entry:

CAMP, HARRY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: ALIAS

Date of Death: 10/06/1918

Service No: 18848

Additional information: See "McCARTHY," the true family name.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY

He does not appear on SDITGW under "Camp"

I've been unable to find him under McCarthy on CWGC.

No Camp or McCarthy appears in the MICs with the number 18848.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

Many soldiers served under an assumed name, it is quite common to see "Served as XX" on the larger memorials but they are usually listed under their correct name with the alias as mentioned. Difficult perhaps in this case records remained under his assumed name, after all how could the IWGc find out unless relatives informed them afterwards. maybe that was only discovered well after the war??

Dont know why no MIC ?clerical error or oversight after all the million odd entries all had to be compiled and collated totally by hand.

Matthew

McCarthy, Florence

Australian

Driver

Australian Field Artillery

12th A.F.A. Bde.

Aged 33 years

Died 10th June 1918

Service Number 18848

Served as CAMP. Son of Jeremiah and Catherine McCarthy, of 25, Gladstone Buildings, Wilton St., Shoreditch, London, England

Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery

Grave V. B. 60.

I think we can see why he changed his first name to Harry don't know about the surname!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Pam

Matthew

Wasn't your grandfather Harry Camp?

Anyway, I had a look at the various census records and found that there were 9 MEN called Florence McCarthy at the time of the 1901, for example, including one or two families with father and son of that name.

It seems that many of the older men called Florence were Irish by birth.

Matthew

McCarthy, Florence

Australian

Driver

Australian Field Artillery

12th A.F.A. Bde.

Aged 33 years

Died 10th June 1918

Service Number 18848

Served as CAMP. Son of Jeremiah and Catherine McCarthy, of 25, Gladstone Buildings, Wilton St., Shoreditch, London, England

Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery

Grave V. B. 60.

I think we can see why he changed his first name to Harry don't know about the surname!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Pam

Thanks Pam,

Well that certainly explains why I couldn't find a MIC for him. Must have missed his entry on CWGC. For some reason I thought it would just be H. McCarthy.

Now I hope that his service record has been digitized. Should provide some interesting reading.

Thanks for the help,

Regards,

Matthew

Many soldiers served under an assumed name, it is quite common to see "Served as XX" on the larger memorials but they are usually listed under their correct name with the alias as mentioned. Difficult perhaps in this case records remained under his assumed name, after all how could the IWGc find out unless relatives informed them afterwards. maybe that was only discovered well after the war??

Dont know why no MIC ?clerical error or oversight after all the million odd entries all had to be compiled and collated totally by hand.

Thanks for the comments. It'll be interesting to see if his Australian records are under McCarthy or Camp. My initial impression is that they are probably under McCarthy as I seem to recall there isn't an entry for Harry Camp (but I'm away from my database at present)

Regards,

Matthew

Matthew

Anyway, I had a look at the various census records and found that there were 9 MEN called Florence McCarthy at the time of the 1901, for example, including one or two families with father and son of that name.

Well remembered Stephen,

Actually he was George Harry Camp, but also appears as George Henry Camp. So this individual is obviously no relative. But I have recently found a cousin of George's, and I'm slowly establishing relationships for most of those listed on the CWGC. I just can't get to the library often enough to check the 1861-1901 censuses. Work is so inconvenient sometimes. :D

I'd never heard of a man called Florence before, but then again wasn't John Wayne's name Marion or something similar, and I seem to recall a British Wrestler of the 80's who went by the stage name "Big Daddy" and possessed a more commonly female first name.

Regards,

Matthew

• 2 months later...
Matthew

Somewhere I read that in Ireland Florence is a mans name.

However, the men are almost never known as Florence. In their day to day life they are known as Flurry/Florry.

Can any Irish Pal confirm/refute this?

Also came across three men named Primrose recently.

Private Primrose Fairweather Royal Scots.

Captain Primrose McConnell MC RFA.

Private Primrose Larnach Royal Warwicks.

Unusual, anyone know any others?

Bob.

The eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted the one difference in the CWGC record for CAMP and that for McCARTHY which may have caused Matthew to fail to find the second entry.

The 'Alias' name is listed as nationality = 'United Kingdom' and the real name is listed as 'Australian'.

CWGC entries bear the nationality of the 'Regiment' rather than that of the casualty. As the term 'ALIAS' is classed as a 'Regiment' within the database it has to be allocated a nationality. Therefore all 'ALIAS' entries are classified as nationality = UK.

So, if you are ever searching for an Australian/Canadian/NZ/SA/Indian's alias, do not enter the nationality as such in the CWGC search form. Leave it as 'Unknown' or 'UK'.

Just a tip for the anoracks amongst us.