Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Samuel Hotchkiss

AndyJohnson

A work colleague wishes to visit the grave of a Great Uncle and asked if any further details may be available.

The soldier in question is Sgt Samuel Hotchkiss, 5th KSLI, kia 8/4/17 and buried at Tilloy-les-Mofflaines, between Arras and Monchy. He was born at Knowbury near Ludlow, enlisted Shrewsbury, and was resident at Clee Hill, near Ludlow.

I was hoping that Annnette’s database may have some detail about Sgt Hotchkiss, and if someone knew what 5th KSLI were doing on 8th April 1917, the day before the Battle of Arras commenced.

Pushing my luck even further, the colleague doesn’t drive – does anyone know if there’s a bus service from Arras to Tilloy – I can’t find a web site and the Arras tourist office hasn’t replied so far. I suggested a taxi as it’s only a few miles.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy Johnson

Researching the men of Tipton, Staffs who died in the Great War.

Hi Andy

I was in contact several years ago with one of Samuel Hotchkiss grandsons he sent me at a paper cutting of Samuel. By the way Samuel was killed on the 9th April on the 8th, there was a mistake some how both in SD & CWGC which recorded 33 of 5/K.S.L.I. killed on 8th but they were killed on 9th. Infact Samuel's grandson got the C.W.G.C. to change the date for all in their records plus all heads would be changed when re-newed.

I also have info on three of Samuel brothers if your work colleague is intested.

I will contact with more info. some.

Annette

Annette

Thanks for that, I did think that there were a lot of 5th KSLI killed on 8th given that the Battle of Arras commenced on the 9th.

I am sure that the information on Samuel's brothers would be of great interest. I am borrowing the Regimental History of KSLI tomorrow so I will be able to find out their action from that.

I look forward to your EMail.

Regards

Andy Johnson

Hi Andy

The Regimental History as good coverage of the 5th K.S.L.I.'s action at Arras on the 9th April and I do not have any extra info. to add to that. Will look up any info. I have on Samuel.

Annette