Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US army observation balloonists in WW1

Guest diggorypress

Guest diggorypress

I wonder if anybody could help me?

Does anyone know what type of uniform the men would typically wear as the spotters in US hot air balloons over the trenches in WW1? Including the colours? I have tried doing a Google search but not had much luck. Also what colour would the parachute be and what would the harness look like? I ask as we are designing a book cover for one of our books and want to get all the uniform details as correct as possible!

Many thanks in anticipation for anyone who can help :)

Diggory Press

I've had a quick look for close-up photographs of US balloon observers (incidentally, the ballons gained their lift from hydrogen, not hot air) but so far without success.

At a guess, the men would have worn US Army uniform, plus an overcoat in either material or leather to keep out the cold. British RFC/RAF observers wore a parachute harness of undyed cotton webbing (see the drawing below from Andrew and Peter Cormack's British Air Forces 1914-1918 (2) ISBN 1 84176 002 1) and a leather telephone harness. Parachute canopies would most likely have been undyed silk, ie a sort of off-white.

If I find something more specific about US observers, I'll submit another post.

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1117750920.jpg

A photograph of two observers from the US 14th Balloon Company is below. The men appear to be wearing fur-lined coats or flying overalls and standard aviator's leather flying helmets. It looks like the officer on the left is wearing a parachute harness similar in style to the British - perhaps the men were issued with British equupment. The bag hanging from the basket in the foreground is a parachute container.

Gareth

post-45-1117775300.jpg

Here's a 1918 vintage drawing of US observers in the basket under a kite balloon. The flying helmets are quite apparent, and the parachute container is prominent.

I hope that this is helpful.

Gareth

post-45-1117775466.jpg

Guest diggorypress

Thanks very much for your help, Gareth...that's brilliant! If you pm me your full name, I will put a thanks to you in the 'thanks' page of the book (if you want)