Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4 Bn, Middlesex Regiment

Paul Byrne

Many of you will be aware of the famous photograph of this man taken near Mons on 22 August, 1914. He is the very youthful soldier mounting guard looking directly at and smiling at the camera/photographer. I think he was a member of D Company, 4 Middlesex. I dont know his initial or number.

Does anybody know what happened to him? Did he survive Mons? Did he survive the war at all ( He'd be very lucky if was in France from 1914 !!!!! )

Hope somebody can help.

Best,

Paul Byrne

Many of you will be aware of the famous photograph of this man taken near Mons on 22 August, 1914. He is the very youthful soldier mounting guard looking directly at and smiling at the camera/photographer. I think he was a member of D Company, 4 Middlesex. I dont know his initial or number.

Does anybody know what happened to him? Did he survive Mons? Did he survive the war at all ( He'd be very lucky if was in France from 1914 !!!!! )

Hope somebody can help.

Best,

Paul Byrne

Paul SDGW lists 32 Carters that served with the various battalions of the Middlesex, However there is one William Carter who served with the 4th Battalion and was killed on 23rd July 1917, could be the young man you were asking about, but I note that the CWGC website lists no such casualty on that date.

And just to muddy the waters some more an article in The Die Hards (the Middlesex Regimental Magazine which covered the 53rd anniversary of the Battle of Mons and followed some of the last survivors of the 4th Battalion back to their former battlefield) makes comment on the photographs location being close to the spot of the monument to the 2nd Royal Irish, and refers to Pvt "Nick" Carter 4th Battalion on sentry duty at 5pm on Saturday, August 22, 1914.

Not much help I know but thought it maybe of interest to you.

I don't know his number, etc., but most sources report this man as having survived the war.

Dave.