Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The search goes on!

dplatt

Has anyone any idea (or can you point me in the correct direction) where those men with matriculation numbers prefix 45XXX came from when they went into the Essex regiment?

You see, I'm trying to locate a relative and I'm still having no success! I know he was in the Essex and I'm pretty sure he joined them from elsewhere. Perhaps my reckoning is out but I'm thinking that I can work backwards, so to speak, and begin to trace him by this long route. It just might give me something.

What do you think?

David.

David

Have you contacted Curator Ian Hook at the Essex Regiment Museum in Chelmsford? The museum has a pretty comprehensive database of Essex Regt men.

Essex Regiment Museum

Oaklands Park

Moulsham Street

Chelmsford

Essex

CM2 9AQ

Tel: 01245 615101

Fax: 01245 611250

pompadour@chelmsfordbc.gov.uk

www.essexregimentmuseum.co.uk

Paul

(...) numbers prefix 45XXX came from when they went into the Essex regiment?

(...)  I know he was in the Essex and I'm pretty sure he joined them from elsewhere.

Check entries in SDGW with same prefix and see those numbers nearer and if previous units are stated. There never were a systematic way to provide drafts so they are a bit hard to track without further evidence... but, from experience, I can tell you it can work.

If you know the exact number, you could also check the Medal Rolls online with near numbers in that regiment... it's a lot of work, but then you can track those who survived the war.

Still, the curator of the Regimental Museum, as paul Nixon has recommended, strikes me as the best first step.

Gloria

hiya dave,paul+gloria are spot on,i had a similar problem,when i checked the Nos against some others it turned out that they were a batch issued to the policemen of manchester city police,another batch that i checked were for 45 men who worked at ashton bros and most of them were in one platoon,one final batch i traced,belonged to men from the east lancs regt,so it can be very fruitful doing what paul and gloria advise,good fun as well,bernard