Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Died CD Rom Look Up

aliecoco

Hi,

Just getting George's room decorated and of course after half an hour chatting to the painter I got onto the subject of WW1. All he knows about his grandfather is his surname Jode, and that he died in France. We have now established that his grandfather is Lance Corporal Edward Jode T/203570 6th Bn The Buffs. Would anyone mind looking him up on their CD Rom to see if there is any other info?

I am going to check out the service records on my next visit to the PRO.

Thanks alot

Alie.

hello allie,cant find edward on the census,do you have any age for him,or an area,bernard

hello allie,cant find edward on the census,do you have any age for him,or an area,bernard

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the quick reply and for looking at the census. I too couldn't see him on the census - which is strange. When I looked him up on CWGC there are only two Jode soldiers that died and as my painter is also called Edward, we figured that he must have been named after him as his father is also called Edward! (He was also sure that his grandfather wasn't called Robert Lovelace Jode) All he knows is that his father was born a month after Edward died. They did come from Kent and moved to Surrey, much later though. I was just wondering if the SDGW had any enlisted info etc.

Alie.

alie,because hes a grandfather, means he wasnt unborn in 1901,because he was a married man during ww1,theres a reason for asking about his age,in a lot of households in those days if the father of the house was called edward and the son as well then they usually addressed the son by his middle name,its a long shot,but has your painter got any bros if so what are their names or even better,did his dad have any bros,bernard

From SDGW:

Born: Bletchingley, Surrey

Enlisted: Margate, Kent

Residence: Dover

KiA 30/11/1917 with 6th Bn.

Ed

Hi Bernard,

I've just asked him and his father only had one sister and he is not sure if his grandfather had any siblings. But its an interesting point about the middle names - I've had this before with another soldier. He is going to talk to his sister for any further family info.

Hi Ed,

Luverly Jubberly!

Painter Edward is getting hooked on all of this and keeps asking for info everytime I take him a cup of tea!

Alie.

Hi Alie

There's a record of Edward Jode born in Reigate District Sep Q 1890. Does this fit in with the grandfather ?

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle,

Thanks for that, it certainly seems to fit, and painter Edward thinks that age could be about right. Where did you get that info from? Would Bletchingly be part of the Reigate District?

Cheers

Alie.

Hi Alie

I think that Bletchingley would have come into that area at that time. The other interesting info is that there was a family listed in Merstham at time of the 1901 census with the name Joad. Among the children are Arthur, Busby, Charles and Edmund. Arthur and Charles fit in with two boys born in the Reigate area and I am wondering if the boy Edmund is the Edward you are looking for, after someone misheard his first name, wrongly spelt his surname and changed his age by a few months. I have checked to see if there was an Edmund Joad born in England and can not find any records.

Have a look at Edmund Joad on 1901 census and see what you think. He is listed as 12 years old.

Myrtle

Definitely Edmund on the original census form.

His father John Joad was a farm Stockman, originally from Merthyr. Address is Noddys Hall, Merstham.

Don't look at me like that Myrtle, the address is right!

Steve

Hi Alie and Steve

Looks as if there were a few mistakes made on the 1901 census.

The 68 year old John was the grandfather. His son also John does not appear on census but John junior's wife Francis is listed.

Someone on Latter Day site seems to have an interest in family. They have listed the Merstham family as Jode. Busby is listed as Bobby (that makes more sense).

John junior was born Edenbridge Kent and married Frances Mayne at Redhill 23rd July 1885. Names of children are listed as Jack who is probably the John (son of John junior on 1901 census aged 16), Bobby, Edward, Frances, George and Charles Arthur who is said to have died in Illogen, Cornwall in 1974, although the 1901 census lists Arthur and Charles as two seperate people. There is more information regarding Frances' parents.

Myrtle

Hi Mrytle and Steve,

Can I just say that you have been absolute stars! I haven't got too much time now do any research, especially this latterday site, so will have a poke about later, but eddie does think this could be his family.

Thanks again.

Alie.

Following a Google search it seems that the Jode family occupied the northernmost cottage of the group of cottages known as Noddys Hall.

Myrtle

Hi Alie

If you find him could you give me a nudge please. I'd be interested to know how a TF man ended up in the 6th Bn.

I have the 6th Bn diary for this period (Cambrai). Give me shout if you want a copy emailed.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Yeah sure will give you a nudge! I noticed that you research The Buffs. Can I take you up on your offer of the war diary? I think it will be an interesting read and thought that Edward might of died during the german offensive which I believe was at the end of November.

Thanks alot.

Alie.