Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest Soldier

paullaw1155

Pals

On our last visit to the salient we visited Poelcapelle cemetery and stopped at the grave of Private Condon 6322, We was under the impression that Private Condon was the youngest combatant to have died on the Ypres salient. A School teacher who was on tour with a group of pupils informed me that Private Condon was not the youngest there had been a mix up and he was actualy 19 years old, the youngest combatant was in fact Private Joe Strudwick 5750 at Essex Farm. Joe was 15 years old when he was killed. she was quite adamant about this because they had done some research.

Can anyone enlighten me any further on this matter???

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Take a look at this site:

http://members.tripod.com/waterfordhistory...n_-_soldier.htm

There have been a few errors regarding ages but these things happen. Usually a search of the Census will rectify things.

Whilst in Ploegsteert Wood recently, I visited Rifle House Cemetery, and noticed, a 15-year-old rifleman, R. Barnett of 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade, who was killed on 19 December 1914.

Regards,

Donna :)

Bernard & Paul

The search of the Forum will reveal not only that the story of Condon being the youngest has been pretty much successfully challenged (I choose my words carefully) but there is a wealth of evidence that he is not resting under that particular gravestone.

The latest research was undertaken by skilled researchers. One of whom is an particular internet pal of mine and someone for whom I have the greatest respect.

I think the jury is still out on whether the Essex Farm guy is the acknowledged youngest.

John

The youngest casualty on the Western Front with a 'proven' age is...

Pte David ROSS

2nd Regiment, South African Infantry

Died of wounds as a PoW 25.03.18 aged 14 years 3 months

Buried in HEUDICOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, France

terry,was condon supposed to have been the youngest british serviceman/woman,wasnt there some talk about george peachment VC only being just under 15yrs old,bernard

My GGF joined the Lancs Fusiliers at the age of 15 following the death of his father.

He left for India at the age of 16 returning back to England having spent a total of 9 years abroad.

Imagine these young lads of today in their hoodies and baseball caps doing the same thing.

Regards, Roland.

Roland

I know many young lads who wear hoodies and baseball caps - including my 19 year old son. Many of them are now working in Africa and South East Asia doing their 'bit' for humanity in often less than safe conditions.

I have great faith in the young and I would expect that many would answer the call. The main point is that we should all work towards there never being another 'call'.

Don't let newspapers and television convince you that 'hoodie' = bad person. It is only a fashion statement for most - just like winkle pickers, mini skirts and kaftans in other times. :D

To be fair its the media who have created this frenzy. A few years ago you had to rip your jeans, colour your hair blue, wear big boots, have chains hanging off everywhere etc. etc. Nowadays if you want to really brass people off, all you have to do is.......... put your hood up!!. You figure out who has the problem. Regards Steve. (Sorry this is straying from the point.....I'll put my hood down now!)

Sorry , my intention was not to dismiss a whole generation as totally useless with one press of my keypad !

It is far from the truth , of course, and is not what my point was about.

I still say that i could not imagine lads of today joining up at 15 , off to India at 16 and returning home at 25..all by choice.

I know that times have changed greatly and that is my point.

The mini skirt has not gone out of fashion since its happy arrival in the 60`s and for that i give greatful thanks. B)

Regards, Roland.

:)

Thanks for posting the picture of R. Barnett's grave Terry, never seem to have my camera with me lately. Lovely little cemeteries in Ploegsteert Wood. Whilst walking in Rifle House Cemetery I noticed an animal trap sitting on top of one of the headstones (broken not in working order) thought this a bit insensitive.

I understand the stones on the Jewish headstones but not animal traps, bizarre!

Regards,

Donna.