Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battalion Sports Days

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Looking at the diary of the 6th London Regt today and the most popular event at the Bn Sports Day was...................throwing the mills bomb. The winner was a Sgt who managed 75 yards.

Anyone come across any other innovative events at Bn sports days?

Ian

1st South Staffords...

21 August 1916

Battalion sports day

Results

Officers 120 yards 1 Lt/QM Wardle

2 Lt Col Ovens

3 2/Lt Knowles

Sergeants wrestling on mules

1 Sgt Flowers

2 CQMS Hunt

3 CSM Faulkes

Officers derby on mules

1 Capt Burt

2 2/Lt Emery

3 Lt Col Ovens

100 yards

1 Cpl Rollinson

2 Pte Horne

3 2/Lt Doke

220 yards

1 Cpl Rollinson

2 Pte Horne

3 L/Cpl Sheppard

440 yards

1 Cpl Rollinson

2 L/Cpl Sheppard

3 Pte Kilner (22nd Field Ambulance)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interestingly the 'Devon Dumplings' aka 1st Bn Devonshire Regt were fans of the boxing. I wonder why ORs and officers had their own bouts :lol:

Seriously though the officers boxed at heavyweight only, wheras the ORs were at the lighter weights <_<

Ian

Lt (later Lt Gen Sir John) Glubb , in his book "Into Battle" describes a 7th Field Company sports day at Souastre in 1917. Apart from the obligatory inter-unit football and tug of war matches, there were a number of equestrian events. Glubb recalls chairing a meeting of company senior NCO's who wanted handicapping rules which would give them a distinct advantage. It was called the "Old Soldiers Race."

Some of the other events included a "VC" race which meant carrying a stuffed dummy across a saddle; riding one horse whilst driving another and the "Alarm Race", which began with men half undressed, lying in blankets. When the whistle went, they had to dress, saddle their horses, mount and gallop 200 yards.

Terry Reeves

Guest stevebec

In the Camel Brigade the most popular sport was not only camel racing but camel wrestling.

each unit in the brigade would supply a mounted man on camel and they would wrestle till a winner was found.

I have a few photos of such and its looks like fun.

S.B

I came across something interesting in the way of WW1 sports. While spending time at my town archives checking into the 182 CEF Battn, I found copies of photos of the men during a sports day while here in Canada. The men of the 182 CEF were all wearing sports shirts with a Maple Leaf on the centre front with the Battn number on it. The shirts looked like Hockey Jerseys, and were worn with the issue pants. I also found photos of the 116 CEF wearing the same type of jersey, however their number was in the middle of a large circle.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario