Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adolf Hitler in Ypres

PhilB

Phil,

Goering ? I'm afraid I don't remember ...

Adolf was there 4 years and 11 months before I was born ... :)

Aurel

Aurel - can you say which corner of the Menin Gate the picture shows? I've often wondered when I see this photo but I'm never absolutely sure. I think they have walked along the inside of the gate (on the side of the road from which the buglers march out) walking towards the town, and they are turning right into Kauwekijnstraat?

Or are they in the exact opposite corner of the memorial, about to look at the moat?

The trees in the background suggest the first location, but the rubble on the ground suggests the second!

Tom

Tom,

No doubt about it. This side of the Menin Gate is the side towards the centre. (The side with the sarcophagus).

So A.H. and his bunch are walking into the Kauwekijnstraat.

And the trees in the background must be the trees on the bridge (side of the Lion).

Aurel

Thanks, Annie. Amazing that he stood there as a corporal, then as C in C 22 years later! Phil B

Hold on! He never got as far as that as a corporal!

Michael

Fascinating picture! Theres some great 'then and now' pictures and a fantastic article of Hitlers visit to the Western Front to his old haunts etc in 1940 in After the Battle magazine number 117- highly recommended-

EDIT- just read original post and see that Paul Reed already mentioned this- anyway- you can order direct from www.afterthebattle.com and they are pretty quick too-

Edited by RichardH

Hold on! He never got as far as that as a corporal!

Michael

True! Hang on while I look for a loophole.

Oh yes, I meant on the Western Front!! :rolleyes: Phil B

PS I still have difficulty seeing him as a man without leadership qualities (Ref recent thread). Look at the officers (no doubt senior & inc 1 Field Marshal?)

grouped around him.

PS I still have difficulty seeing him as a man without leadership qualities (Ref recent thread). Look at the officers (no doubt senior & inc 1 Field Marshal?)

grouped around him.

In July 1940, Hitler at the height of his powers promoted 12 generals to the rank of Field Marshal.This was at the time of his appeal to the British Government for a ceasation to the war and in the euphoria of victory was intended to ensure that his generals remained under his spell by recognising their contribution to his cause.

Of the 12,some later had forced absence,but only one,Witzeleben took part in the 20 July 1944 plot and only one, Kluge was suspected of betrayal at the end. One might say that Hitler was debasing the highest German military rank.He even thought up, or Goring thought of it, of another rank for Goring, that of the Reich Marshal of the Greater German Reich.As Chancellor of the Third Reich and undisputed German dictator,Hitler could create a post or promote a favourite to any rank.(A case of a Machiavellian approach in "dumbing down" or the workings of a mutual admiration society)

As the war went on Hitler kept his generals under his obligation by awarding cash and estate packages to a number of them.Even Rommel fell for this seduction.

Apparently the Kaiser had only promoted 5 generals to the rank of Field Marshal throghout the Great War and Ludendorff was not in the promoted.

Regards

Frank East

And Napoleon did much the same with his Marshalls.

He was a corporal in the Artillery before he began his political carrer in mainland France after making a name for himself in Corsica.

As the war went on Hitler kept his generals under his obligation by awarding cash and estate packages to a number of them.Even Rommel fell for this seduction.

Frank East

A technique not unknown in modern business! :angry: Phil B