Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kaisers battle

watchman

Dear All

I have now finished my reading of the Kaisers Battle and tried to match it with the 2/6th South staffordshires war diaries.

I am particularly interested in the action around ecoust and the great railway enbankment.

The war diaries:-

"the enemy attacked in massed formation and got though to the railway reseve and battalion headquarters".

"Major HMC Curtis proceeded to the line with details from the transport lines, a party of ....... and held a portion of the front line of the third system of defence east of mory.....".

The book Kaisers Battle:-

Qoute from the Leutnant Ernst Junger (German attacking Railway embankment)

"Half of us left, the great railway embankment inthe lineEcoust-Croisilles, which we had to cross..... From loopholes and dug-out windows built into the side of it, rifes and machine guns were rattling merrily".

I belive my Grandfather was a survivor of this action.

Has anybody got any details of this action or maps they can share with me??

Can any body advise if the railway enbankment is still in Ecoust today??

Was the church at Ecoust destroyed in this action??

All help in further studing this action would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Andrew.

Here's a trenchmap snippet from immediately prior to the actions...

dave.

post-357-1117549194.jpg

There was a brilliantly written, incisivley analytical and lavishly illustrated article on the fighting around Bullecourt and Ecoust, and of Jünger's movements across the battlefield in issue 69 of 'Stand To'. It contains maps of the action and photos of the battlefield today. The names of the authors escape me for the moment.

Yes, you can still see the embankment.

It is the excellent journal of the Western Front Association. Back copies are available (I think exclusively to members, so sign up!). You can occasionally find copies at fairs, on eBay and so on, but the are quite sought after so not easy to find through these routes.

It is the excellent journal of the Western Front Association. Back copies are available (I think exclusively to members, so sign up!). You can occasionally find copies at fairs, on eBay and so on, but the are quite sought after so not easy to find through these routes.

Signed up wiating for details so I can order back copy stand to

Thanks Cris

Hi

Just received back issue 69 Stand to.

What a very interesting section on Bullecourt and Ecoust st main.

Thanks Hedley and Cris for your direction

Andrew