Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worker Esther Ellis

Northern Soul

Jim,

Do you have any details on the following female casualty, buried in Barrow-in-Furness cemetery?

Name: ELLIS, ESTHER

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps

Unit Text: School of Instruction (Berkhampstead)

Date of Death: 10/12/1918

Service No: 48058

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. 1341.

Cemetery: BARROW-IN-FURNESS CEMETERY

I suspect she was a munitions worker, employed at Vickers' but have not managed to find any contemporary reports.

Also, in your researches, have ever come across any of the following?

Nurse Tamar Watson (died but not commemorated by CWGC)

Ada Agnes Benn (service unknown, not a casualty)

Mary Elizabeth Brown (service unknown, not a casualty)

Jennie Dawson (service unknown, not a casualty)

Nellie Pattinson (service unknown, not a casualty)

Ruth Ellen Poland (service unknown, not a casualty)

Regards.

Andy.

Andy, I have nothing more on Esther Ellis than you. But I am certain that she wasn't a munition's worker. Munition worker's were totally civilian whereas Esther was under army orders in the QMAAC. Their work was domestic and office work. I would guess that she was attached to one of the Army Training School's as an office worker - probably a typist. Berkhamstead is in Hertfordshire and she was buried in Barrow in Furness. I guess that her home was Barrow so she might have had a special skill that took her so far away from home. Many QMAAC lived locally to their work but a few signed up to work "anywhere". It looks like Esther was one of these.

I have come across Tamar Watson. I have little on her just yet but she was a Voluntary Aid Detachment member. With the name of Tamar I am expecting a Cornish connection.

The others do not form part of my research as they were survivors.

Andy, I have nothing more on Esther Ellis than you. But I am certain that she wasn't a munition's worker. Munition worker's were totally civilian whereas Esther was under army orders in the QMAAC. Their work was domestic and office work. I would guess that  she was attached to one of the Army Training School's as an office worker - probably a typist. Berkhamstead is in Hertfordshire and she was buried in Barrow in Furness. I guess that her home was Barrow so she might have had a special skill that took her so far away from home. Many QMAAC lived locally to their work but a few signed up to work "anywhere". It looks like Esther was one of these.

I have come across Tamar Watson. I have little on her just yet but she was a Voluntary Aid Detachment member. With the name of Tamar I am expecting a Cornish connection.

The others do not form part of my research as they were survivors.

Jim,

Got your email and will get photos for you (but it may be quite a while). Tamar Watson is commemorated on Ulverston War Memorial and died sometime in November, 1918 (don't yet have a precise date). She is buried somewhere in Ulverston Cemetery. If I turn up any more information I'll pass it on.

Seems Esther Ellis was from Barrow. She died at 6, Telford-street in Barrow, presumably from influenza, aged 20. No other mention in the local newspapers unfortunately.

Best wishes.

Andy.

There was a 17 year old Tamar Watson born and resident in Ulverston at time of 1901 census. Her occuptaion was Dressmaker. I notice she is listed as Sister Tamar Watson on the Ulverston Memorial.

• 2 years later...

Hi there Ian L,

If you could possibly let me know the name of the hospital(Roundhay I think), I could possibly go and try to find it for you and Jim.

I only live 10 miles away from Roundhay and in the course of my work i am always in that area, so plenty of scope for noseying about.

Cheers Roger.

I already have a photograph of the headstone thanks to Andy Moss. But Ian, I think that you have the wrong date of death. She died on either the 11th or 12th November 1918. Her headstone shows the 11th and another record that I have seen as the 12th.

I already have a photograph of the headstone thanks to Andy Moss. But Ian, I think that you have the wrong date of death. She died on either the 11th or 12th November 1918. Her headstone shows the 11th and another record that I have seen as the 12th.

mmh! my mistake!