Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Court Martial

Kevin Stillyards

Trying to find information about this mans court martial.

London Gazette has the following: -

Linc. R. - Maj. W. E. W. Elkington is dismissed the Service by sentence of a General Court Martial. 12th Nov 1917.

I also have the following snippets: -

He commanded A Company, 2nd Battalion Lincs Reg in Bermuda (1913/14)

He also had a temporary Lt. Co. Rank and commanded a battalion of the lincs reg in 1916.

Can anyone add details about his court martial?

Kev

Kev

Here are brief details relatiing to Elkington (and other officers court-martialled), including the NA file reference.

I don't have details of the court martial but I know a man who may...... can't promise but will try to save you a visit to Kew!

Rosemary

Dear Kev and Rosemary

The web site that Rosemary has introduced is about Lt. Col. John Ford Elkington, who was the C.O., 1st Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He is a very familiar officer among people who take interest in the British Army during the FFW.

However, it seems that Kev is looking for any information on another Elkington whose name is W.E.W. Elkington. And, his rank was Major.

I am certain that the best way to get information on his military career is to have a look at his peronal file at the National Archives at Kew. The number of his file is WO 374/22347.

Kev! If you consult his file you will be able to find more detailed information on Maj. Elkington.

All the best!

Taryong

Thank you Rosemary & Taryong.

Yes the officer i'm looking for is W. E. W. Elkington. Served with the 2nd & 6th Battalions of the Lincolnshire Reg.

Can't get to Kew very easily so was hoping others already had some information on him.

Kev

I assume this is the Elkington who served as a ranker in the French Foreigh Legion after his dismissal?

I assume this is the Elkington who served as a ranker in the French Foreigh Legion after his dismissal?

Hi ChrisC

Don't know if W. E. W. Elkington joined the French Foreigh Legion. Please tell me more.

Kev

Dear ChrisC and Kev.

The person who served as a ranker in the French Foreign Legion after his dismissal is Lt. Col. John Ford Elkington of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, not Maj. W.E.W. Elkington.

If you type "John Ford Elkington" on the Google (www.google.co.uk) you will be able to find more detailed information on Lt.Col. Elkington.

Taryong

Thanks Taryong,

Still nothing on W. E. W. Elkington. :(

Kev

Taryong,

I am interested in the two regular battalions of the Lincolnshire Regiment and i'm trying to find out what happened to the officers that were with these two battalions when war broke out.

Prior to the First World War the 2nd Battalion had been stationed in Malta and then for a few months in Bermuda. During this time Elkington had been in command of A Company. At the outbreak of war he returned ahead of the 2nd battalion and along with several other officers helped form the first service battalion raised by the Regiment at Belton Park near Grantham. The 6th (service battalion) fought at Gallipoli although Elkington seems to have spent his time in Egypt and Imbros. He latter commanded the battalion for a while on it's return to France.

Kev

Thanks Taryong - I'd read about an Elkington and assumed this one was he!

Chris

Kevin,

There's a 6th Lincs researcher whom I've alerted to your query, he should be able to flesh out Elkington's time with the 6th. He thinks that Elkington went to the 1st Lincs after the 6th.

Does Simpson have anything on what happened?

Jim

Kevin,

There's a 6th Lincs researcher whom I've alerted to your query, he should be able to flesh out Elkington's time with the 6th. He thinks that Elkington went to the 1st Lincs after the 6th.

Does Simpson have anything on what happened?

Jim

Hi Jim,

Elkington is mentioned a few times by Simpson but complete silence from around the time of his court martial onwards. I'll be interested in hearing from the 6th researcher, thanks for passing this on to him - is he Lincolnshire based?

By the way sorry for not getting back to you after your last e-mail. I'm going to the Lincolnshire Museum again on the 25th of June and will be taking your list of men with me. I'll get back to you with anything I find.

Kev

Kev,

The 6th lad is from Grantham, I'll let you know if he turns up anything.

Do we know where Elkington was originally from?

No worries on the email, I appreciate your offer to loop the lads.

Jim

Kev,

The 6th lad is from Grantham, I'll let you know if he turns up anything.

Do we know where Elkington was originally from?

No worries on the email, I appreciate your offer to loop the lads.

Jim

He served with the 2nd Battalion upto 1914 but don't know where he came from.

Kev

This is an interesting addendum to the Elkington story I had not come across before. The book ''Seek Glory, Now Keep Glory ' by John Ashby (Helion books, 2000) about the 1st Warwicks in the Great War devotes much space to the Colonel Elkington affair. There is a photo of the five Elkington brothers and a brief reference to WEW, born in 1874. He was originally commissioned into the Warwicks in 1898, served various staff appointments pre war and was Musketry Instructor at the Small Arms School at Hythe. The book says that he served during the war at Gallipoli and Mesopotamia, where he was wounded and later served in the Lincolnshire Regiment. He apparently died in 1957. No mention whatsoever is made in the biographical paragraph on p 53 of the book to his being court-martialled, which seems a rather significant omission. Presumably the author did not know about it.

Thanks Tim & Mark.

Very interesting additions to the story. He seems to have got around a bit, I've looked in the Digest of Service at Lincs Museum and WEW Elkington was a Major with A Company in Malta and Bermuda (1912-1914). Must have come to the Lincs Regt after his time as an Instructor, maybe?

Do the NA have details of Court Martials anybody?

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin,

Tracked down a photo of Elkington with the 6th prior to going to Gallipoli, can't seem to post it on the forum, if you email me I'll forward you a copy.

Jim