Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Morane-Saulnier L

Landsturm

I`ve been through the net in search of Morane-Saulnier L-pics. What I need is a photo/illustration/techical drawing of this plane straight from the front.

Would be if it`d show the plane from the FRONT. You have this book? I`ve been watching it in a bookstore once. If you own the book, would you mind finding out the operating ranges of Nieuport 10 & 11, Morane Saulnier N, SPAD A2, Maurice Farman S.11 and Caudron G.III if possible, pleaseee... :D

Landsturm

These pics might help. The first is better for the strut arrangements; the close up (with Jean Navarre) shows the MS badge and engine detail.

As to your figures:

the book generally gives endurance in hours rather than range. The figures I can find are:

Nieuport 12 (larger version of 10): endurance 2 hours 45 minutes

Nie 11 2hr 30mins

Morane Saulnier N: 1 hr 30 mins

Spad A2: range 155 miles

MF 7 ("longhorn", as distinct from MF11 "shorthorn"): 3 hours 30 mins (sounds a lot)

Caudron G111 - no info

I would not take these figures too literally. All WW1 performance figures, but especially range, were very much affected by a lot of variables. For instance, remember the controversy over whether Billy Bishop could or could not have flown as far as he said he did in his VC action.

Adrian

post-3755-1117495293.jpg

post-3755-1117495321.jpg

Landsturm

Further to Adrian's post, the Caudron G.III's endurance was supposedly 4 hours.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks for info, statistics and pics! This pretty much all I needed:D So, Adrian, you seem to be on top of things in this subject. Can you say what was the average operation range for Allied bomber planes during late 1915. You might wonder why I`m asking this, so let explain. I`m drawing a comicbook, and this particular story I`m working on now is focused around airplanes. My character`s plane is downed (during recon-mission for coming attack in September 1915) behind enemy lines, he is captured and taken into POW-camp (fictional? somewhere in Western Germany). Now, could he see an Allied plane flying somewhere in the horizon while in the camp, recognize this to be some plane with ONLY ??? miles of operational range, thus figuring out that he`s not so far from the border and start to think of an escape? Or should I forget this part of the plot and plan something else instead?. When Allied bombers first started bombing Germany and where?

Landsturm

A raid I know about in November 1915 which must have been long-range by the standards of the day, was when 3 Wing RNAS bombed Ferrijik Railway Station in Bulgaria, from their base in Tenedos (now Boscaada) in the Aegean Sea. From the map, this looks to be at least 130 miles in a straight line.

One of the earliest raids on Germany was when a Sopwith Tabloid flown by Reggie Marix of 3 Wing RNAS bombed the Zeppelin sheds at Dusseldorf from Antwerp on 7/10/14, about 100 miles. Not long afterwards, they hit Fredrickshaven from the Vosges, at least 150 miles.

The first regular, strategic, bombing of Germany was from mid 1916, again by 3 Wing RNAS, using Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters.

Adrian

Landsturm,

To add to Adrians previous answer:

French bombing units regularly attacked targets in Germany during the second half of 1915. Operating from Malzéville, these units, flying Vosin aircraft, attacked Pechelbronn, among others.

So there might be a chance that my character could see couple of of these flying in the horizon? Vosin? Do you have photos or illustrations of this plane? What was the average operational range?

Do you have photos or illustrations of this plane? What was the average operational range?

Landsturm

A photograph of a Voisin Type 3, or LA, is below. The machine is said to have had a range of about 300 miles/500 kilometres, and it could carry 110 pounds/50 kilograms of bombs. The performance would no doubt be reduced under operational conditions.

As you said, I think that it's more likely that your character would see a group of these machines, rather than just one. There would probably be some German aircraft trying to interfere with them as well.

I'll add some information on early French bombing activity in a later post.

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1117664868.jpg

I'll add some information on early French bombing activity in a later post.

Landsturm

As promised, an extract from Reconnaissance and Bomber Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War, by W M Lamberton, is below.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

post-45-1117664661.jpg

To add to Adrians previous answer:

French bombing units regularly attacked targets in Germany during the second half of 1915. Operating from Malzéville, these units, flying Vosin aircraft, attacked Pechelbronn, among others.

Sorry, Anglo-centric thinking on my part, forgot about the French!

But the Oberndorf raid mentioned in Dolphin's extract ties in with the 3 Wing RNAS operations that I mentioned.

Adrian