Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A query found on the UNUSUAL link of the

larneman

On this PAGE

he has a question about 2 Canadian Soldiers buried in AEROPLANE Cemetery (Ieper) (West Vlaanderen Belgium)

"Tom Manning (441292) 06/04/1916 & Frank Manning (441293) 06/04/1916

Are they brothers ? Same family ? Who knows ?"

I am sure that this forum can crack this query.

I checked the Canadian Enlistment papers and have attached them below

Frank was born on 19 April 1884 in Bloxham, Oxfordshire, England served in Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regiment) 5th Bn.

Tom was born on 14th October 1884 in Taunton, Somerset, England served in Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regiment) 5th Bn.

I assume they were not brothers but a search of the birth records will name the father and mother.

Any takers...

Liam

post-4169-1117402049.gif

post-4169-1117402083.gif

By this they would not appear to be brothers - but their service numbers are sequential - so surely they must have joined up at the same time - cousins, perhaps?

Alan

By this they would not appear to be brothers - but their service numbers are sequential - so surely they must have joined up at the same time - cousins, perhaps?

According to their records Frank joined 20 april 1915 in Prince Albert and Tom on the 17 April 1915 in Prince Albert .

Do not know the Canadian enlistment procedure or numbering system. Maybe a Pal might know.

Liam

As Alan has already pointed out : not brothers.

And in case someone should suggest that the parents may have moved : Frank was born on 19 April 1884, and Tom on 14 Oct 1884. So, less than 6 months in between.

But I agree : since their numbers are sequential, they must (may) be related.

Aurel

Yes, the attestion papers show three days between them. However, they were both serving in the same regiment (Saskatchewan Regiment) when they both died on the same day in 1916.

CWGC gives no other information on them, unfortunately.

Alan

"Tom Manning (441292) 06/04/1916 & Frank Manning (441293) 06/04/1916

Are they brothers ? Same family ? Who knows ?"

I am sure that this forum can crack this query.

Frank was born on 19 April 1884 in Bloxham, Oxfordshire, England

Tom was born on 14th October 1884 in Taunton, Somerset, England

Anybody have access to the birth records in 1884 Bloxham, Oxfordshire or Taunton, Somerset.

I am certain that with a little help we can solve this mystery.

Liam

I would not try to read too much into the sequential Regimental Numbers. Although numbers were usually issued in chronological sequence, this does not seem to be the case here. This subsequence of 50-60 numbers seems to have been issued to men attested at Battleford or Prince Albert from about the beginning of April to the end of May, 1915. Within this subsequence, the numbers appear to have been issued alphabetically by surname. One could speculate that this represented a recruiting tour to the north west in which the recruiting officer used forms which were not numbered until after his return to headquarters.

Curious case, though!

I would not try to read too much into the sequential Regimental Numbers.  Although numbers were usually issued in chronological sequence, this does not seem to be the case here.  This subsequence of 50-60 numbers seems to have been issued to men attested at Battleford or Prince Albert from about the beginning of April to the end of May, 1915.  Within this subsequence, the numbers appear to have been issued alphabetically by surname.  One could speculate that this represented a recruiting tour to the north west in which the recruiting officer used forms which were not numbered until after his return to headquarters.

That makes it even more interesting. Is it a random thing, fate or what.

Pierre has sent me a copy of the graves which I will share with you.

Liam

Guest vickifrancis
That makes it even more interesting. Is it a random thing, fate or what.

Pierre has sent me a copy of the graves which I will share with you.

Liam

On the 1901 Census Tom is down as being only 15 years old. Yet another query for you. Just as a sideline I used to live in Bloxham Oxon - it's a beautiful village!

Good luck with your search.

Vicki

On the 1901 Census Tom is down as being only 15 years old. Yet another query for you. Just as a sideline I used to live in Bloxham Oxon - it's a beautiful village!

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Vicki.

That raises a couple of questions. According to his attest papers he was born in 1884 so he would be 16 or 17 depending on the date of the census.

Did people lie about their childrens ages. I know from my research in Co. Antrim that people lied in all the censuses about their age for different reasons. Main reason for children was to keep them out of the army/navy. People in Ireland thought that the goverment would use the census to see how many young people could be recuited in which year, etc.

If he really was 15 then he could be a brother?

great fun.

I wonder if he is mentioned on the Bloxham War Memorial.

Liam

Guest vickifrancis
Thanks Vicki.

That raises a couple of questions. According to his attest papers he was born in 1884 so he would be 16 or 17 depending on the date of the census.

Did people lie about their childrens ages. I know from my research in Co. Antrim that people lied in all the censuses about their age for different reasons. Main reason for children was to keep them out of the army/navy. People in Ireland thought that the goverment would use the census to see how many young people could be recuited in which year, etc.

If he really was 15 then he could be a brother?

great fun.

I wonder if he is mentioned on the Bloxham War Memorial.

Liam

My husband is going to Oxfordshire on Friday - I'll ask him to check the memorial.

Frank Manning is on the memorial in Bloxham.

Thanks to your husband and yourself Vicki.

I wonder which newpaper covered WW1 for Bloxham.

greetings

Liam