Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battalion Border Regt

Hambo

Does any one have details of where the 7th Borders were on the 19th of November 1917.

I am researching Private Henry Crittell 33465 who was killed with them on this date.

I have SDGW deatils but any help with additional information (company etc) would be most welcome

Thanks Hambo

On the 19th, 7 Border marched to the Canal Bank and relieved the Bn holding the front line in Eagle and Candle trenches, while HQ was at places like Taube Farm and Millers Houses. They were taken out at the end of the month, entraining at Boezinghe. Casualties were 7 men killed, 2 DOW and Lt A.W.Bonome and 30 ORs wounded, though there is nothing in the diary to show how casualties occurred.

I think we`re talking about the Langemarck area here, though I see he`s on the Arras Memorial!

Hope that helps. Phil B

Phil, thanks for your prompt response.

Do I understand that he was killed on the first day they took the front line over on the 19th?

Hambo

Looks like it!

What I find odd is that the History says the 7Bn qualify for the Cambrai honour, though they didn`t get into the action. I think it was because they moved from Boezinghe to the Proven area and came under orders for an attack late in the Cambrai operations, but nothing transpired. They were at Penton Camp, near Couthove when the battle ended on Dec 12th. Phil B

Any idea why he's on the Arras memorial? Would that tie in with the Cambrai attack? If he was killed at Boezinge as his date of death would indicate, why is he on the Arras memorial? (Sorry for the machine gun like number of questions but it seems a bit of a mystery to me!)

Thanks for the help

Hambo

If he was killed at Boezinge as his date of death would indicate, why is he on the Arras memorial?

A number of possibilities spring to mind:-

- there is an error with date of death

- there's an error with the SDGW "KIA" designation and he actually died/died of wounds away from the area (and the grave subsequently lost)

- he was attached to some other unit at the time

Certainly the other two soldiers killed on 19/11 are correctly listed on Tune Cot (as are the two kIA on 20/11).

John