Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th (Eastern) Division

Old Tom

Hello,

My father served in the RFA - Trench Mortars - with this division. According to a book 'The 18th Division in the Great War' published in 1922 the division had three memorials in France and Belgium. I have seen the two in France, on the Somme, one at Thiepval and the other at Trones Wood. There is an early picture of the later in the book, against a backdrop of the shattered remains of the wood. The one in Belgium was to be near Clapham Junction ( a few miles from Ypres on the Menin road), an area which has seen considerable development since WW1. The book does not actually say it had been built. I wonder if anyone has seen it. And, as a general query does anyone know how these 'new army' divisional memorials are maintained. A few years ago the one at Thiepval was showing its years.

Old Tom

Tom,

The 18th Div Memorial is indeed at Clapham Junction with the Gloucesters Memorial on the other side of the road.

Visited both last year.

Bob.

Steve- I couldn't download that-well not in a format that made any sense :huh:

I am completely computer illiterate, mind you :rolleyes:

Tom, here is a picture of the 18th Division memorial on the Somme taken in July 2004 and Here is a link to an article about the one at Clapham Junction.

post-1137-1117992341.jpg

Hello,

Thanks to all. I have seen the ones at Thiepval and Trones Wood. The 18 Div history contains a photo of the Trones Wood memorial against a backgound of shattered trees.

Regards

Old Tom