Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

All one family??

john w.

I am researching the Ramsden Bellhouse Parish Memorial and there are the above listed

I is Isaac Royal Marine Light Infantry.. he is listed and fits

Name: GARLAND, ISAAC

Initials: I

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: 4th R.M. Bn.

Date of Death: 23/04/1918

Service No: PO/15128

Additional information: Son of Philip and Thurza Garland, of 3, Hope Cottages, Park Rd., Ramsden Heath, Essex; husband of Florence M. Garland, of 10, Cottage Grove, Whitworth Rd., Gosport, Hants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

W C appears as plain W William and resided in Ramsden, same mother and father as Isaac

Name: GARLAND

Initials: W

Regiment: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1918

Service No: 2086

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. P. Garland, of Ramsden Heath, Essex; husband of F. N. Ramsey (formerly Garland), of Aylett's Cottage, Broomfield, Chelmsford, Essex.

P is the problem... cant find him/her at all on CWGC or SDGW

Family details from the census

Arthur Garland 9 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Ernest Garland 8 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Fred Garland 2 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

George Garland 13 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

George Garland 63 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Agricultural Labourer

Isaac Garland 12 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Philip Garland 39 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Agricultural Labourer

William Garland 3 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Alice Garland 5 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Alice Garland 29 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Brentwood General Servant

Annie Garland 22 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Pretoria Garland 10M Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Rose Garland 10 Essex Ramsden Bellhouse Essex Ramsden Bellhouse

Any ideas?

Photos to help

John

post-409-1117383543.jpg

Hallo John

Could this be your man - he seems to be the son of Philip Garland, and born in Billericay - not sure how this fits in geographically

Percy Garland

Regards

Sue

John

What a coincidence. William was living in my village when he died and I did an article on him for my parish newsletter which I've quoted below. I also wrote an extended article for the village website and have included the link. There is some confusion regarding his age which is dealt with on the website.

------------

"William Garland was one of the Great War casualties whose name never made it onto the village war memorial tablet. He was 19 years old when he attested into the Royal West Kent Regiment on 7/9/1914, one month after the outbreak of war.

Originally from Billericay in Essex, he enlisted at Maidstone which suggests that he had made the move across the Thames before 1914. On arrival in France in July 1915, William joined the 7th Battalion and was with the BEF until March 1917 when he had to be evacuated to England suffering from a mammary cist. After an operation, hospitalisation and some sick leave, he left number 8 Westfield Cottages for the last time on 17/12/1917. His wife Florence was eight months pregnant with their only daughter Patience Helen.

Patience never got to see her father because on 9/7/1918, Florence received the dreaded telegram that had become all too common in Lower Halstow by late 1918; William had tragically died at No 56 casualty clearing station on the 3rd of July. The following possessions were found on his body: Dice, letters, photos, coin, brush, cigarette case, alum rings, 3 badges, mirror wallet, purse, pipe (broken). He was buried at BAGNEUX BRITISH CEMETERY, GEZAINCOURT, Somme, France.

More detail on William Garland is available on the village website including his medical and disciplinary record along with his wife’s pension entitlements."

----------

Garland

Happy reading

Mick

As Mick has mentioned that William Garland was originally from Billericay, it now seems very likely that Percy Garland is the right man.

Sue

Thanks for the information....

Have you any more information on Percy Garland

The only Percy I have found is below

Name: GARLAND, PERCY

Initials: P

Regiment: 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales' Own)

Date of Death: 24/03/1918

Service No: 101479

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 1 and 2.

from CWGC... this isnt the same man...

Is there a tie up with Isaac and William?? If yes then it must be the Billericay connection although that isnt proof positive of immediated family..

see web address for further info...

http://www.stock.org.uk/history/ramsden-bellhouse/index.htm

It is still being added to....

Michael what a great story... the memorial is near to my village at least he is remembered there.

Seems that the Garlands gave three sons in the war...

John

Thanks for the information....

Have you any more information on Percy Garland

The only Percy I have found is below

John

The service papers on the link above give Percy Garland as born 17/12/1893 in Billericay, the son of Philip Garland of Billericay. The service number on those papers [174283] tie in with this man:

Percy Garland

although the 'next of kin' details on the CWGC give a different connection. The 1901 census for Ramsden Bellhouse shows a Percy Garland in Dowsetts Lane with grandparents:

RG13/1668/10/folio28/page 12

George Garland 63 Agricultural Labourer

Mary A. Garland 59

Annie Garland 22 their daughter

Percy M. Garland 7 Grandson

It's possible, but slightly unlikely that Percy is the son of Annie [with a different Philip as father?] so perhaps just staying there on census night. The parish register entries would sort it out.

Sue

John / Sue

I've been going through my research notes and here is what I found

The Garlands living at the house in Dowsetts lane in 1901 were as follows;

Head - Philip Garland Aged 39, Agricultural worker

Wife - Thurza Garland Aged 34

Son - George aged 13

Son - Isaac aged 12

Daughter - Rose aged 10

Son - Arthur aged 9

Son - Ernest aged 8

Daughter - Alice aged 5

Son - William aged 3

Son - Fred aged 2

Daughter - Pretoria M aged 10 months

William's BWM and VM were returned (KR 1743). I have an image of his medal roll. Let me know if you want a copy.

Finally, there is the record of his daughter's baptism in Lower Halstow FIVE DAYS AFTER HIS WIFE RECEIVED THE TELEGRAM notifying her of his death

Is Dowsetts Lane still in existance ?

Mick

post-174-1117452182.jpg

Edited by Michael

The 1901 census image shows that Percy and the grandparents were living next door but one from the main family in Dowsetts Lane - Percy's place of birth is actually given as Canning Town, but that's perhaps just the result of different people giving the information.

John - if you would like a copy of the census image let me have an email address and I'll send it.

Sue

And just to add a little bit of guesswork to all this - the surname of the next of kin on the CWGC entry in Burlington, Ontario, which is 'Farraway,' seems to be a surname prevalent in the North Middlesex/Essex area, with a few in Canning Town, so perhaps a sister of Philip or Thurza Garland who married and emigrated to Canada.

Edited by SueL

So what you are saying then is that Percy may be a cousin, to Isaac and William, who were brothers..

John

So what you are saying then is that Percy may be a cousin, to Isaac and William, who were brothers..

John

No, not at all - I obviously did my learning in the school of muddled writing. What I'm saying is that IMHO Percy is their brother who just happened to be two doors down on census night with his granny.

Which is not surprising seeing how many of them were crowded into Garland Towers.

Unless, of course, he was the child of Annie's incestuous relationship with her elder brother Philip.

You'll have to make of it what you will, and to prove it either get the birth certificate, or check the PRs.

I'll send the image.

Sue

[Off to have a lie down :blink: ]

Sue...

sent you an email..

By the way having read this... what relation is Annie then? IYHO

John

'Unless, of course, he was the child of Annie's incestuous relationship with her elder brother Philip'.

Now that would make an interesting article for the parish magazine!

'Unless, of course, he was the child of Annie's incestuous relationship with her elder brother Philip'.

Now that would make an interesting article for the parish magazine!

Rosemary

Sadly, I think the parish magazine will be remaining respectable - unfortunately it seems that Annie is Percy's auntie and not his mum!

Sue

The small village green with war memorial and village sign.

Many of the original buildings have gone to make way for 80s builds...

John

post-409-1117474630.jpg

William's wife went to live in Goldhanger after he was killed I think, just to let you know its to the NE of Maldon in Essex, near the coast.

John

So by the time war broke out they had moved from Dowsetts Lane and were elsewhere..

Son of Philip and Thurza Garland, of 3, Hope Cottages, Park Rd., Ramsden Heath, Essex;

(from Isaacs CWGC entry)

Ramsden Heath doesnt even have a church! Maybe I will have to look in the next village, Ramsden Bellhouse. I was wondering where George or Philip or Thurza were buried, assuming they didn't move as well !

I mean Isaac was in Gosport, Hampshire: Percy was in Canada: William in Kent: I reckon they had a big family so some had to move :)

I have had a look and have no idea where it is :angry:

John

William's wife went to live in Goldhanger after he was killed I think, just to let you know its to the NE of Maldon in Essex, near the coast.

John

John, it looks like she remarried pretty soon which is quite understandable.

It's turning into quite a story isn't it. This kind of thread rekindles my faith in the forum.

Mick

John

I couldn't resist having another prod at this today, and just by chance while perusing 'Farraways', I found this marriage:

June quarter 1907 West Ham ref: 4a 5

Robert James Farraway and Alice Garland

So [leezen very carefully...]

This Alice could be the one on the 1901 census who is 29 and a general servant. I believe her to be Philip's sister, and therefore, Percy's aunt. So she marries Mr. Farraway, and they hot foot it off to Burlington, Ontario, and that gives the next of kin in the CWGC details. At that time a woman would use her husbands initial, so when it says 'Mrs. R. Farraway' - that's her - Auntie Alice!

My bill is on the way! :P

Sue

John,

Perhaps the following info from the 1891 Ramsden Bellhouse census will make the family relationships a bit clearer :huh:

RG12/1383 folio 13 page 6:

Residence "on the Heath" (could Edward be son of George/brother of Philip?)

Edward Garland, 25, born Ramsden Bellhouse

Julia Garland, 22, wife, born Basildon

RG12/1383 folio 14 page 8

Residence Dowsetts Lane

George Garland, 49, born Ramsden B.

Mary Ann Garland, 53, wife, born Wickford

Annie Garland, 12, daughter, born Ramsden Heath

Edith Garland, age??, daughter, born Billericay

Luke Garland, 3, grandson, born Ramsden Heath

(confirming that Annie on the 1901 must be Percy's aunt)

RG12/1383 folio 14 page 8

Residence Dowsetts Lane, apparently 2 doors away from the above.

Philip Garland, 29, born Ramsden Heath

Thurza Garland, 24, wife, born South Hanningfield

George Garland, 3??, son, born Ramsden Heath

Isaac Garland, 2, son, born RH

Rose Garland, 4 months, daughter, born RH

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim