Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H. Turner, M.C., M.M.

chris.wight

I was browsing Ebay this evening and saw a framed "Old Contemptibles Association" certificate to H. Turner, M.C., M.M. I was curious to see if I could find any further background on him but a search through the London Gazette and the M.I.C.s gave no results.

Would anyone have further information? (I should add I don't plan on bidding on this, more a case of my own curiousity).

I saw this the other day and considered going for it - as I collect things to Turner (that's me!). I also did a search on the MIC's & LG and came up empty. However there is one H Turner (Henry) that comes up several times on the MIC.... no. 6406. He's shown as Private on 2 and Private then Lt on another. Given the low number (and the facy I know next to nothing about when regimental numbers were issued), I thought this might be the man..... but probably not :blink:

Les.

Hi Chris,

According to the book 'Army Honours and Awards' there is a Lt H. TURNER, M.M., Royal Welsh Fusiliers who was awarded the Military Cross.

No further details published.

Ian.

London Gazette 15-2-1919 (Published 14-2-1919)

Awarded the Military Cross:

2nd Lt. Henry Turner, M.M., 2nd Bn., R.W. Fus.

London Gazette 30-7-1919 (Published 29-7-1919)

Military Cross Citation:

2nd Lt. Henry Turner, M.M., 2nd Bn. R.W. Fus.

For ability, initiative and gallantry during the attack on Villers-Outreaux on the morning of October 8th, 1918. He led his company most resolutely to their objective and forced 21 of the enemy to surrender after killing and wounding several, with the result that the company on his flank was able to get forward.

The success of the operation which was carried out under very heavy machine-gun fire was due to his gallant leadership.

Steve.

Thank-you Les, Ian and Steve for your replies!

Les, I think you have found the right man in the M.I.C.s.

Steve, I tried again to find his M.M. but no luck; I guess this is one of those elusive ones. That is one downside to the on-line London Gazette, it holds so much useful information but actually finding it can be so difficult and frustrating at times (it is fun though when you do find something! :) )

It certainly is Chris.

I seem to be on a little bit of a roll at the moment with the LG.

That said, I can't find the MM either!

Steve.

(Edited to remove English bread joke that a Canadian probably wouldn't get!)

Edited by Stebie9173

Steve, I found his M.M. ! :)

I went back and had a look at the three M.I.C. cards with his name and two have his rank as Serjeant, so I entered "Sjt. H. Turner" and up it came.

He was listed in London Gazette Issue 29731, 1st September, 1916, link to issue.

(Edited to remove English bread joke that a Canadian probably wouldn't get!)

:D

The joke was "I'm on a roll... Well a small bap anyway". (A bap being a small round roll-type loaf thingy. Do you call them that over in Canada?)

A was looking for the MM in the LG and Acrobat crashed on me. I think that issue was one of the ones I was downloading. Perhaps my roll has been eaten. :lol:

I see that 19th Brigade were at the 1st Day of the Somme at Ovillers. No comment on a possible date of action...

Steve.

Steve, I don't think the term bap is too familiar here (maybe in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland) but I've heard it heard it before; my Mom and Dad were both from Scotland and I spent several summers with my Gran in Fife while growing up.

The M.M. can be so mysterious with their lack of background information....does make one speculate the where, when and why.

Les,

Now does a Canadian know what baps is the colloquial term for?! :lol:

Steve.

Now does a Canadian know what baps is the colloquial term for?! :lol:

'Fraid not, Steve. No doubt something amusing! :lol:

Commissioned 28 11 17, 24 07 18 reported for duty 2 RWFD, 23 08 18 wounded probably C Coy [wounded in eye own goal grenade] an experienced officer, a new company commander risen from ranks, 15 11 18 MC, contributed to "The War the Infantry Knew"

from my data base

Thank-you David.

• 1 month later...
Guest nhuitson

Hallo-my friend and I are new to this.She is looking on behalf of her father,who would love to know more about his fathers war.His name was George Edward Dale, dob 15.11.1891.He was in 1st Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers (regimental number 31705) during the first world war,and he was awarded the military medal-date of gazette 17 dec 1917.he would very much like to know where and when he served,and what this would have been awarded for?we have found his record card on national archives.It says his registered paper was 68/121/364 and schedule number was 117905.we are sorry to be so naive,but we would love to help him out!