Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt David Perry-Okeden 19 Sqn RFC

stevenbecker

Mates,

Do you have any details of the action by 19 Sqn RFC on the 25th May 1917 in France in which Lt David Herbert Perry-Okeden was wounded.

A report mention he was in a Spad 4 when shot but no other details?

Can you give me where he was wounded and by who and what aircraft he was in.

He was an AIF officer who was attached to the RFC from the Camel Corps in Egypt.

Cheers

S.B

Steve

The action in which Lt H G P Okenden was wounded seems remarkably undocumented. The Sky Their Battlefield indicates that he was flying a SPAD VII of No 19 Sqn but, unusually, doesn't give the aircraft's serial. There's also no indication of the way in which he came to be wounded, nor where it happened.

I had a look in The Jasta War Chronology, and there doesn't appear to be a German claim that matches the wounding.

Sorry

Gareth

Thanks mate,

His Service record only mentions his wounding on that day being shot threw the Right shoulder and face.

He spent the next few months in the UK in hosp where he was prom Capt and Flight Commander but this seems as Honoury as he didn't retirn to his unit instead being sent home on the 31st Oct 1917 and discharged medicaly unfit on the 2nd Feb 1918.

I wonder if this happened on the base as an accident and not recorded as such?

The first report in his file gives the wounding as a BW (Bomb wound) while the second report from hosp gives GSW (gun shot wound). Purhaps a victim of a air raid or accident on the base.

I wonder what the unit diary gives for this day.

Cheers

S.B

• 1 month later...

Steve

Do you have his medals? I had them about 20 years ago but sold them soon after I bought them, small world.

Cheers

Jim

Mate,

No the reason I was asking was I am working on the Camel Corps History and he was an ex member who went on to biger things.

S.B

• 18 years later...

Mate,

Sorry but I brougth this back to see if any other details have come to light since I first posted this?

PARRY-OKEDEN    Herbert David     672    Dvr MT    2 LH Bde HQ    HQ (MT) att 1 Div HQ 11-15 evac to Egypt 11-15 (G) to Cpl 12-15 to L/Sgt 12-15 to AQMG branch HQ Anzac MD 3-16 to S/Sgt - T/SQMS 4-16 prom 2/Lt 12 LHR 1-7-16 to 14Co/3Bn ICC 1-7-16 T/att (officers course) school of Instruction Zeitoun 7-16 to cadet 3 SMA Aboukir 11-16 to 19 Sqn RFC 6-5-17 (pilot) Spad 7 WIA 25-5-17 L/shoulder and face shot possibly on patrol in France prom Hon/Capt Flight/Ldr 8-17 F&B RTA wounded nervous instability mental disch 2-2-18 later WWII Flt/Lt Admin RAAF (250193) AKA David Herbert Parry-Okeden brother Uvedale Capt MC AASC

Does anyone have any details on want 19 Sqn RFC was doing that day?

S.B

Mates,

The messages on the other site on this same subject shows a possible cause.

One mentioned that he was wounded during the fight in which a German plane was claimed brougth down (OOC) by Lt Childs 19 Sqn RFC west of Douai

That his (Okeden) landing at 32 Sqn RFC airfield was witnessed by General Longcroft, who put him in for a special recommendation

OF cause there is no German plane (Albatros C3) shown lost to James Childs that day, so the thing remains unknown