Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for information on the barrier of nets

larneman

I came across a referance concerning a net between N. Ireland, (Rathlin Island) and Scotland (Galoway) a while ago. On reading the forum tale about nets around Warships I remembered it.

Is there much information on this line of nets maintained in the Irish Sea by 50 or so drifters in all weathers to restrict the movement of U-boats. This was only mentioned as part of the background to the tale told of the sinking of HMS Drake at Rathlin Islands. So as most vessels were based in Larne I am interested.

Liam

Is there much information on this line of nets maintained in the Irish Sea by 50 or so drifters in all weathers to restrict the movement of U-boats. This was only mentioned as part of the background to the tale told of the sinking of HMS Drake at Rathlin Islands. So as most vessels were based in Larne I am interested.

]

These nets were laid early in 1915 in the hope of compelling U-boats to remain submerged until their batteries were exhausted and thereby making the North Channel impassable for them. Because of the depth of water it was not possible to use the same system as in the Dover Straits.The nets were laid in the shape of a parellogram 20 miles long by 12 miles wide touching Rathlin Island with its NW corner. The nets were tended by a total of 180 drifters. Patrol areas were established either side of the netted area.

These nets were laid early in 1915 in the hope of compelling U-boats to remain submerged until their batteries were exhausted and thereby making the North Channel impassable for them. Because of the depth of water it was not possible to use the same system as in the Dover Straits.The nets were laid in the shape of a parellogram 20 miles long by 12 miles wide touching Rathlin Island  with its NW corner. The nets were tended by a total of 180 drifters. Patrol areas were established either side of the netted area.

Thanks ionia for the information.

Anybody know if the drifters in the RN or just hired with crew. ?

There is a photograph of the old Royal Navy HQ on ebay today. The Olderfleet Hotel. It is now almost a ruin(2005). Was HQ in both wars.

Any more information would be welcome on the drifters and patrol vessels etc.

Liam