Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

480541 Sapper CHAPMAN, Norman G., R.E.

barry56

Norman G. Chapman was born in Ashton Under Lyne, Lancs in 1896 and prior to his 18th birthday, enlisted in the Royal Engineers. His WW1 medal index card states the following: Medals: Victory: RE/101 B 208, page 5488; British:--ditto--; 15 Star RE22B, page 5488. As well as his service no. 480541, the MIC shows a Regimental no. 2533 and records: "Theatre of war first served in (1)" and "Date of entry therein 19/9/1915". Reputedly, he was gassed & wounded in the head during service in France/Belgium and after hospitalisation, was honourably discharged from the Army on 2 Nov 1917, due to disability. On the reverse of his Honourable Discharge document, it is stamped "....?........ Record Office, Chatham" with a handwritten "S NO 8580" in the centre of the stamp, with "Issued 25 January 1919" and signed "for COLONEL I/C R.E. RECORDS"

Given the above detail, can anyone tell me more about my grandfather's WW1 service/campaigns, which R.E. unit(s) he would have served in etc? If not, could anyone tell me where I might be able to find that information?

Thanks in acticipation,

Barry

Tasmania, Australia

The number 480541 is a number that was allocated to the 3rd West Riding Field Company (Territorial Force) on 1-3-1917 so he served with that unit sometime after that.

The 3rd West Riding Field Company had two sub-units 1/3rd and 2/3rd who were the 457th and 460th Field Companies respectively.

Both of these Companies were with 62nd Diviison.

http://www.1914-1918.net/62div.htm

62nd Division did not go to France until early 1917 so he probably served with a different RE Company before then.

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks a lot for your help. This now makes sense to me - he must have served on the Western Front from 19/9/1915, was wounded, returned to England for hospitalisation & after leaving hospital, joined the Territorials.

It would appear that his initial "regiment no." was 2533 (I wasn't aware they could be changed) but on joining the Territorials, was given 480541.

I have since found a 2nd Medal Index Card for him is recorded online - states his Corps as "Royal Engineers, 20th Territorial Force Depot" which I presume was in Sheffield, West Riding Yorks as I know he/his parents & sister were living there in 1920.

Would his earlier service number of 2533 have been allocated to a particular Company and if so, can anyone tell me which one it was?

Thanks again,

Barry, Tasmania