Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Division Cyclists' Company

Rosemary Clarke

I am researching the case of L/Cpl Victor Fox who, although serving with 1 Wiltshires, was attached to 3 Division Cyclists' Company in early 1915.

I am trying to establish who would have kept a diary for the these cyclists, for that time (up to May 1915) and hopefully somebody might point me in the right direction?

I have been in contact with the Wiltshire regimental museum, who have suggested formation diaries as a possible starting point.

Many thanks.

Rosemary

Rosemary

Divisional Troops 3rd Division has war diary for the Cyclist Coy for Jan-May 1916 under WO 95/1399, but this is outside your period of interest. There may, however, be something in the A Squadron 15th Hussars war diary Aug 14 - Mar 15 under the same reference. The divisional cavalry sqn and cyclist coy often cooperated together.

Otherwise look at the 3 Div General Staff war diaries for the period (WO 95/1376,1377). While they probably won't mention individuals they might give an idea of the coy's activities.

Charles M

Charles

Your speedy and helpful response is appreciated. One further question if I may?

What would the main functions of the cyclists have been?

The court martial papers refer to Fox and his men being on patrol and coming under fire which necessitated abandonment of cycles (later retrieved) and swimming of a canal to reform.

Thank you for your help.

Rosemary

Rosemary

Cyclist coys began to be formed in the early summer 1914 and their primary task was reconnaissance, together with the divisional cavarly squadron. Once trench warfare set in they took on numerous other tasks, often being the division's 'odd job men'. These ranged from manning observation posts, traffic control, sniping, repairing trenches, helping to set up divisional schools, etc.

Hope this helps.

Charles