Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers Bugle Band. Smethwick ?

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

I have this photo, and on the back it says:-

Bugle Band

R.E. (T)

Smethwick or Smethuck, or Smethick ??

Any ideas where or when this was taken ?

Cheers

Tim.

post-4549-1117274957.jpg

It's the Bugle Band of the 2nd North Midland Field Company, R.E., based in Smethwick (which is now part of the West Midlands connurbation, not quite either Birmingham or Black Country).

The unit's drill hall remains standing as the Harry Mitchell Leisure Centre, built and doated to Smethwick Corporation and the Staffordshire Volunteer Reserves in 1893 in memory of his son, Henry.

The photograph was probably taken on one of the unit's annual camps, as evidenced by the bell tent in the background.

Graeme

Hi Graeme, :)

Thats great. Many thanks for the information.

Have you any idea as to what kind of year it might have been taken ?

Cheers

Tim.

I don't know why, but I'm thinking post-war?

Send a copy to Smethwick Library, as they have the archives for the area, and I'm sure they'd be grateful.

I'll get down there and check their other pictures.

Graeme

Do you mean post ww1 or ww2 ?

I'll do that regarding the Library.

Also thanks for the help you have offered !!

Cheers

Tim.

This is not just a bugle band. The first three rows may be put the rest certainly are not. There are two helical tubas clearly visible which would indicate that a full band follows drums and bugles.

Dave

Tim

Might be well wrong, but I suspect 1920s.

Just a feeling...

Graeme

I think, that you are probably right, that was my first thought when I saw it !1

Cheers

Tim.

This is not just a bugle band. The first three rows may be put the rest certainly are not. There are two helical tubas clearly visible which would indicate that a full band follows drums and bugles.

Dave

Hi Dave, :)

Very interesting. I never thought of that.

Very many thanks for the information.

Cheers

Tim.

Dave

Helical tubas as opposed to what, Dave?

Toooo much information! A story to tell, methinks.

But yeah, you're right, it's the full kit and caboodle.

I'm sure Smethwick Library have some more pictures of RE bands. I'll check....

Graeme

The Field Company at Smethwick was 1st North Midland Field Company R.E., not the 2nd. 1st North Midland Field Company was formed from a cadre of former members of "H" and "I" Companies of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment in April 1908. 2nd North Midland Field Company was an entirely new unit raised in Norton Canes, near Cannock, at the same time as a result of the creation of the Territorial Force.

The photo looks like it was taken in the 1920's. By this time 1st North Midland Field Company was called 212th Field Company, having been retitled on the reformation of the Territorial Army in 1921.

Helical tubas as opposed to what, Dave?

As opposed to the convential tuba. The helical tuba wrapped around the players body in similar fashion to a Sousaphone making it lighter to carry when marching.

As the bell of the instrument points outwards it is easily identifiable in the pic.

Dave

Just to round off the info of helical tubas this photo of 5th Suffolks at Long Melford in 1909 shows the instrument.

Dave

Nice one, Dave.

I must take another trip to Smethwick archives, cos I'm sure thre's a couple of pictures of a band....

Give me a day or two.

Graeme

I went to Smethwick Archives today, after searching out some really dodgy pub for someone......

I had believed that I had seen a picture similar to that of the Terriers' band, but havinfg had a look at their photographic archive, there's nothing.

Sorry.

But it would be worthwhile sending them a copy.

Graeme

Hi There, :)

Very many thanks for all the replies, it has been very interesting and informative.

Cheers

Tim.