The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Ernest W. Snook 8th Royal Welsh

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

I have a In Memorium Card to Sgt Ernest W. Snook 8th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers who Died of Wounds on 17-8-15 aged 27. I can't find his MIC, and he is not on SDGW or CWGC. Any ideas ?

Cheers

Tim.

post-4549-1117274118.jpg

tim,i could only find this,which ime sure you already know

george snook,father,innkeeper,warminster

sarah,mother.

ernest.

bert.brother.

henry,brother,HM navy

annie,sister

there is absolutely nothing about him tim,this is one for langley dalton.

Hi Bernard, :)

Many thanks for the information.

I agree this is a strange one, but it just makes it all the more interesting !!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

SERVED AS? perhaps.

if this was from the local church they may not have wanted to put that he served as someone else.

Just a thought.

Mandy

Certainly odd-On CWGC is listed an E/ Snook who died August 1915 yet rank is given as Lance Corporal and unit is not listed RWF. Certainly is a puzzle.

Hopefully if an hometown newsppaer obitaury exists-maybe that can clear up puzzle

(Different name?)

Have you tried SDGW volume for RWF?

mandys got a point,i have come across soldiers serving under another name for the simply reason,that their name was unusually aweful,bernard

Hi Mandy and Bernard, :)

Yes, I have come across this too, but it is unusual when they have died not to be on CWGC with their proper name aswell as an assumed name !!

It is something I am taking into consideration though !

Cheers

Tim.

Hi PFF, :)

I have tried every way I can think of on SDGW. Still searching !!

Cheers

Tim.

tim,his mam and dad are missing as well,both were coming up to 30 in 1881,but they aint in the census,i thought there may have been a chance of him using his mams maiden name but i couldnt find her,maybe the cwgc didnt know his real name,it would explain why hes missing from all the other records,bernard

tim i have just noticed what the memorial card says,THIRD SON,he wasnt,he was the 2nd son,bert was the 3rd son

Looking on the free search of general records I think that the family were based around Tisbury and Wilton in Wiltshire. If this is the case there are several possible male siblings of Ernest, who died in infancy and this could account for him being called third son !! But who knows ? !!!! :(

Cheers

Tim.

Just found them !!

And there is another son !!!

Look for George Snook born 1852 Semley, Wiltshire. He is down as a Carpenter.

Cheers

Tim.

Do we know if there is a Warminster in Canada, Australia or New Zealand?

If so the card be from there, he may have come back to England to serve?

Just another thought.

Ok just looked on CWGC at all 59 Snook's and he doesn't appear amongst them either.

I'll have to try the crystal ball.

A strange one!

Mandy

Hi Mandy, :)

Warminster is in Wiltshire and close enough to the other places mentioned, so I'm confident we have the correct family. So it just comes down to his military service !!

As you say, very strange !!

Cheers

Tim.

tim,have one last go on sdgw,try the date not the name,or date and RWF,the date of death is certain to be right,you might touch lucky,bernard

I've already tried ! I even tried it with Ernest and just 'E'. No good at all !!

Cheers

Tim.

tim,this is getting to me now,hes a stubborn ****** this lad,how many RWFs died on that date

tim,this is getting to me now,hes a stubborn ****** this lad,how many RWFs died on that date

Totally agree !! :D

There were 14 of which 7 were in the 8th Battalion. Only 2 of the 14 were not born in Wales !!

Cheers

Tim.

One possible complication is, that as you can on the card it says son of the late G.W. Snook. It appears he died in 1904. So is it possible that his mother remarried and he took this man's name.

The thing with that is though, is that i've tried all different ways on SDGW, and there is no one even close !!!

Cheers

Tim.

tim what were the names of the 2 not born in wales

On rechecking there are 3

Richard George Thorpe KIA 17-8-15 8th Battalion Born Stretton Audley, Oxon.

Joseph Pritchard KIA 17-8-15 8th Battalion Born Derby.

Herbert McGovan DOW 17-8-15 8th Battalion. Born Wylye, Bath.

Cheers

Tim

tim, try the mic again,the name,herbert mcgovan,son of S mcgovan,born wylly,just up the rd from warminster age 29 sgt,his age is no different than ernests,the cwgc usually go by the nearest month ,so if for eg he was 27 and half they willsometimes put 28 on the stone,hes your bloke tim,and one other thing he had a younger bros called BERT,so who are you looking for now,bert or ernest,because neither man is to young or to old to enlist,so why the alias,bernard ps your a lucky devil getting a good mystery like this

That is a very interesting theory and would be very interesting !!

I'm just feeling very confussed at the moment !!! :D

Cheers

Tim.