The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Karachi 1914-1918 War Memorial

PPCLI

This request may be another "one for Terry".

Maybe we should have a new sub-section - "Ask Terry!"

One of the 568 soldiers commemorated on this memorial is:

Pte. William Sneddon Campbell, S/16207, 1st Garrison Battalion, Gordon Highlanders

Died on 7th October 1918

The CWGC states that the soldiers commemorated on this memorial lie buried in one of 23 civil and cantonment cemeteries - is it possible to find out from the CWGC records the cemetery in which William Campbell was buried?

As I said, this is probably one for Terry.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart

One of the men on my local war memorial is also named on the Karachi WW1 memorial [24th Battalion Rifle Brigade]. I emailed the CWGC and asked if they could tell me where his original burial place was, and they told me that it was at Sialkot East Cemetery, Pakistan. I left a message on the Rootsweb India mailing list, and eventually it was spotted by somebody who sent me a photo of Sialkot cemetery today. If the information is there, the CWGC will tell you.

Sue

Thank you very much for your replies. As you suggest, I will email the CWGC with my query.

Stuart

Before the CWGC 'migrated' the names to the new memorials created in India there were Cemetery Registers printed for the various Indian cantonments. I have access to copies of these and can search for a name fairly easily if ever anyone needs the information.

Terry - I would have thought that some of the original graves would have had CWGC-pattern headstones. When the CWGC decided to stop maintaining them and move to centralised-memorial commemoration, did they remove them or do they possibly still exist in some instances?

Andy.

Before the CWGC 'migrated' the names to the new memorials created in India there were Cemetery Registers printed for the various Indian cantonments. I have access to copies of these and can search for a name fairly easily if ever anyone needs the information.

Andy

Can you advise the details in the register for the following members of The Black Watch

S/19755 Pt Edward Adam Souter

S/7305 Cpl John Bannerman

S/19753 Pte Alexander Ritchie

S/20012 Pte David Blaik

They were buried at Trimulgherry Cantonment Cemetery. They are now named on the Madras Memorial.

Thanks

Andy

Can you advise the details in the register for the following members of The Black Watch

S/19755 Pt Edward Adam Souter

S/7305 Cpl John Bannerman

S/19753 Pte Alexander Ritchie

S/20012 Pte David Blaik

They were buried at Trimulgherry Cantonment Cemetery. They are now named on the Madras Memorial.

Jas,

Since you actually know where they are buried, all I can add is the following:

Souter - Plot M. 2. 1090

Bannerman - Plot M. 2. 1087

Ritchie - Plot M. 2. 1088 & additional register info states that he was "accidentally killed"

Blaik - Plot M. 2. 1089

Am I correct in thinking that they were all victims of some accident?

Trimulgherry Cantonment Cemetery (India 153) contains/contained 91 scattered war graves. As for whether they still exist see Terry's comment above.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Am I correct in thinking that they were all victims of some accident?

Trimulgherry Cantonment Cemetery (India 153) contains/contained 91 scattered war graves. As for whether they still exist see Terry's comment above.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Andy

Thanks for the details and confirmation they are buried together.

It is known that during the summer 1917 the 2nd Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) were stationed at Samarra. Mesopotamia and that a number of the personnel, including Adam Souter, were given a month's leave in India. While in India he was involved in a railway accident in which Adam and his three comrades died.

I have not been able to discover the circumstances but assume it was in the region of Trimulgherry since they are buried there.

And they were gob-smackingly quick when I asked a similar question

From CWGC - "we currently have a 6 - 8 week e-mail backlog".

I've now got a rabbit's foot and a couple of horseshoes for sale. Anyone interested?

Stay lucky :P

Stuart

• 2 years later...
Guest mccannhorsley

Andy.

Andy

I wonder if I can take you up on your kind offer Andy. In the Register for Trimulgherry Cantonment Cemetery is there a reference to a Maud Mary Ulett (née Buritt) b. 1858 please?

Joe