Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sounds serious

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

Just came across this entry in the 1st Bn Royal Berks Regt war diary. The last line sounds serious, I feel for the poor man :lol:

2nd day of mobilization. 297 Reservists Depot arrived 12.20pm. All horses except 8 received by 12 noon. 141 reservists from Depot 9.15 pm. 8 horses received & complete. Progress normal as per scheme.

Absolute breakdown of Board of Trade civilian assistant.

Not withstanding the Monty Python-esque skit in my mind inspired by the scenario described, and not withstanding the horrific hardships endured by military personnel on both sides -- but it reminds us of the herculean tasks faced by many civilians who are never remembered, by any side in any war.

We namby-pamby 21st Century folk will hopefully never face the kinds of challenges of the two World Wars that were forced upon millions of people. How would many of today's public and even we knowledgable Baker Pals handle the '40 Blitz for example? Absolute breakdown would be only a minor category, I'm afraid. :(

Guest Hill 60
How would many of today's public and even we knowledgable Baker Pals handle the '40 Blitz for example?  Absolute breakdown would be only a minor category, I'm afraid.

I totally agree with you, matey.

I have no idea of how I'd cope with the Blitz.

My father, who lived through the Blitz, seemed to cope pretty well with his experiences, he was about 7 or 8 at the time. His father, a WWI Veteran, didn't bat an eyelid! When a V1 landed in the next road he continued to eat dinner as everyone vanished under the table! He commented that you never hear the one that gets you (speaking from experience) so why bother ducking for cover!

I have found that people vary in how they can deal with something. My father has been caught in flashovers, fallen through roofs and seen carnage and destroyed bodies for nearly 30 years. Anyone who has met him wouldn't have an inkling of what he has seen.

On the other hand, I worked with an officer who resigned the day after he was assaulted for the first time and who had to have months of counselling because of it; he was never the same after that incident. I have been assaulted 16 to 18 times, sometimes seriously, but it never affected me.

I just have this picture of a poor BoT official, totally out of his depth, desperately trying to cope with the growing amount of men, equipment and paperwork and slowly losing the plot.

I reckon if, like my grandfather Tom Brough, you'd gone through WW1, you'd find the Blitz a piece of cake.

In 1919, Tom went back to work at Manchester Council's Gas Department (before we had the Gas Board and long before British Gas) in the Fire Department. My mother told me that. when the blitz came to Manchester, Tom was out at work for three solid days. Apparently most of it spent on top of the big gas storage tanks, kicking incendiary bombs off 'em.

I wonder whether he was more scared of that or his stroll on from Maricourt to Montauban on 1 July 16.

Me? Hiding under the duvet as usual.

John

B)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Peter,

Don't forget that some of the Baker Pals have worn the uniform and seen active service. I agree nothing as horrific as WW1 or maye the Blitz but nonetheless with its moments and its memories that never fade.

Ian

:ph34r:

Guest tintin

There was an RASC General at the War Office during the Great War who dropped dead at his desk from his regular 16 hour working days.

How many peoples lives were shortened due to wartime stress? - we will never know

The Board of Trade guy has my sympathy