Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Somme

Andrew Hesketh

I've got an uncorrected proof of the above which is due to appear "to coincide with the anniversary on July 1st" on 30 June 2005. It will be accompanied with quite a hype-fest, or so I gather.

Anyway, I plan to read it over the next few weeks or so and I'll see if I can get a review in to coincide with its launch....

I had a talk with Peter two weeks ago when he came to the Cleveland Branch of the WFA to give a talk 'Up The Arras', (which was an interesting and informative talk on the air war during the Battle Of Arras in 1917. I can recommend it to other branches).

He is enthusiastic about his book on the Somme and has put a lot of work into it.

For those with an interest in the Durham Light Infantry and the Northumberland Fusiliers it should be of interest as they get a good mention, (Peter is a South Durham lad originally), including the DLI attack on the Butte De Warlencourt in November 1916, which so many other books mention little about.

SEAN

• 2 weeks later...

Well, an outstanding book! I highly recommend it upon publication. It is well written and, although it obviously covers much familiar ground, I never felt the desire to skip bits.

If you are looking for new interpretations or discoveries then you will find none, but then that is obvioulsy not Hart's intention. He takes a fairly neutral line on the old chestnut regarding Haig, Rawlinson and Donkey's and tells it fairly 'straight'.

The purpose of the book as described in the introduction, and seen in his previous publications, is to provide a forum for the participants to speak for themselves, and hardly a page passes without extensive quotation from a soldier. As many of these are from the IWM archives they are also previoulsy unpublished. You'll find the odd familiar quote and / or passage, but not too many. The selected sources are outstanding and convey the experience of the Somme in a variety of ghastly, uplifting, tragic and humorous ways. The bravery and qualities of endurance that we all know most Great War soldiers posessed are laid bare in page after page of often graphic eyewitness descriptions - the Captain who, whilst eating perched outside a dugout entrance, shot surrendering German soldiers as they emerged - the sergeant determined to live until his boys were safe, and then died. If for the sources alone, this book is highly recommended.

However there is also a very good section on the logistical preparations for the Somme battle - the provision of roads, railways, water supplies etc - an area which, frankly, had never really occurred to me as being the huge undertaking it apparantly was. All credit to the RE and labour boys.

If I have a criticism then it is minor. As the intention is to give voice to the men themselves Hart naturally gives greater consideration of events and sectors where he has good sources (and, of course, in covering the whole battle it is impossible to do it all in equal detail). However, as a consequence, some arenas get short shrift. As my main interest in the Somme battles is the 46th Division at Gommecourt I was saddened to see it brushed off as a failure in about a page without any soldier accounts. Whereas the 56th Division's attack gets detailed description with very good accounts. This is not really a complaint - presumably Hart could only spend time on what he had sources for - but readers with a passion for specific parts of the campaign may find their 'favourite' parts airbrushed out equally swiftly. And there's the usual imbalance in that you are half way through the book when the first day ends....

But, returning to the positive, this is an excellent book which I am sure will appeal massively to the Pals.

... Andrew, been waiting for the 'write-up' !

How do 36th fare in the scheme of things?

Des the extremely parochial ^_^

Des,

I'm afraid that I can't be that precise 'cos it's quite a thick book and, of course, a plethora of Divisions move in and out of focus as the book develops. Also, as it's a proof copy, there's no index so I can't easily check back. However a quick flick through gives 5 pages to the Thiepval Ridge affair with quotes from a 2nd Lt. J.L. Stewart-Moore, Col. Ricardo, Pte. Davie Starrett, Lt.Col. Crozierand Gnr. William Grant. Hart refers to the 'astounding brief success of the 36th (Irish) Division'.

Like you I have a particular Divisional interest so, no doubt, you'll feel slightly short-changed that your favourite only gets brief mentions, but as I said above, the beauty of the book is in the words of the soldiers, regardless of their Divisional origins.

Cheers Andrew - but tell him to change the title of the Division!!

Many thanks

Des

I am writing a review for the website, which will appear at the weekend. Must say I was not put in the best frame of mind by the publishers press release. "60000 died on 1 July 1916". "A million died on the Somme". Oh, no, here we go again...

Des - good point about the divisional title. I must say that I'd let that one drift by me.

Good review, but I think the PR might have put you on a slight downer! I think it is a little better than your review suggests (and not just for the price). My copy is a paperback uncorrected proof so it only has blanks where the maps and photo's go so I couldn't comment on them.

• 5 weeks later...

Just picked this up from Sussex Stationers for £12.99.

Only review thus far possible - big...

• 1 month later...

Got mine at Sussex Stationers at the price on the last post.

Read the first couple of chapters and think that this is an excellent book.

• 1 month later...

No probs with book overall .. but sadly I do note that the 36th is bracketed as (Irish) Division.

Des

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Hart's latest book The Somme is certainly an excellent read and a well constructed volume. However many of the so called Literature Critics have panned it!

I would like to redress the balance and say at long last we have a book which challenges this often heard view of the battle of the Somme. For nearly 90 years many eminent military historians have helped to colour the views of our nation with the same old bigoted, jaundiced and ill informed view of this great but tragic battle.

In this work Peter looks at the battle in a logical and orderly manner. The book starts by giving the reasons why Douglas Haig was forced into fighting on the chalk downlands of the Somme. Once the political reasons for the battle are covered he moves smoothly to the tumultuous first day. This starts at Gommecourt and steadily moves southwards along the battleline to Maricourt on the banks of the river Somme. All through the text one sees an educated analysis of the opening day’s events, which are greatly aided by new facsimiles of the Official Histories maps.

Upon the conclusion of the first day the reader is then taken through the further battles that comprise the Battle of the Somme. All the time there is logical analysis of the Generals actions. In many parts one is made aware of unforgivable errors made by Haig, Rawlinson and others which lead to the death of many thousands of men. But one is also made aware of overwhelming problems and the reasons for mistakes that will hopefully help break down the myth of Lions led by Donkeys! The analysis of the battles is clear and concise, sticking to known facts. All too often we are served up myth and legend, in what are frankly pseudo-histories of this conflict.

Throughout the book there is an extensive use of personal accounts from those who we there. He has not been tempted to colour the reader’s judgement of the overall battle by the misrepresentation of these most personal reminiscences. They add greatly to the understanding of how individual soldiers felt about their own localised situation within the tumult of the battle.

In conclusion I would recommend this book whole heartedly; this is a classic work that joins the ever increasing list of revisionist histories on the Great War. With the passing of time we are able to make reasoned judgements on the conflict. Peter Hart should be congratulated for producing this fine body of work. I would suggest that those who have accused him of being an apologist for Douglas Haig should question their own historical integrity and stop following the all too easy path of misinformed and some what hackneyed comment on this tragic battle.

No doubt this review will cause some consternation amongst the Donkey's faction, but one should never forget that war is a nasty business where many good men are killed. To do them credit see should encourage the revisionist writers like Peter to stand tall and shout loudly the truth about this tragic battle.

Hi,

Thank you for the comments on the book. I am deeply ashamed of the 36th (Irish as opposed to Ulster) gaffe. I did know, but whether it is through some strange political/Fenian inner workings of my mind or just the usual plain incompetence I still managed to cock it up - I think I can guess which!!!! I have already contacted the publisher and informed them of this pretty cracking error and some other thankfully more minor typos.

All I can say is sorry and it is very noticeable that in a book of nearly 600 pages this blunder is the point most often referred to - you cross an enraged Ulsterman at your peril in 1916 on the Somme or pretty well anywhere in 2005!

Thanks anyway and what a great forum this is, I learn something new almost every day on so many different topics. Thanks Chris!

Pete

A very gracious response from a published author.

Perhaps it is my twisted nature but I thoroughly enjoyed the book otherwise!

Now if Nigel Jones is out there I'm ready for a scrap over 'The War Walk'!

Des

• 3 months later...

I've just finished reading this excellent book. Sometimes books of this length can appear intimidating, but this proved to be most readable. The inclusion of so many eye witness accounts only renders it more so. I could have wished for more on the 15th and 34th Divisions, but that just reflects my own interests.

Cas

I am so far behind on my reading, this one will wait a while. What I am impressed with is Chris' review. This is not something that can be bought ... real thoughts, real criticisms, and real information. Great stuff ...

I, too, used the 60K figure till I knew better. It must be a part of Urban myth to include casualties as KIA ...