Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GOLD BRAID DISTINCTION .

steve140968

:blink: On my grandfathers discharge papers it states that he was entitled to wear 'one gold braid distinction' . Can anybody tell me what this is and what it would have been for . Also how many would they have gone up to and there status by number , many thanks . Steve .

:blink: On my grandfathers discharge papers it states that he was entitled to wear 'one gold braid distinction' . Can anybody tell me what this is and what it would have been for . Also how many would they have gone up to and there status by number , many thanks . Steve .

Hello Steve,

this sounds like what is colloquially known as a "Wound Stripe",a length of "russian lace", worn on the Sleeve,vertically near the cuff,singly,or in multiples,depending on the number of wounds received,these were later worn as a Brass replica[with Patent Nos & Wound stripe No 4,etc,on the reverse]as they were more durable in Khaki![There have been a number of threads concerning "Wound Stripe" & a quick search should throw up some pictures,]

ATB Roger

;) Hi Roger , thankyou very much for the reply . I will take your advice and do a search .

Regards ,

Steve .

"for each OCCASION wounded" ie 17 bullet holes on 1 July 1916 gave rise to one wound badge.

Gas counted as a wound.

Also ENEMY barbed wire [but not friendly]

I saw a note in a newspaper from June 1916 today, announcing the introduction of the wound braids.

I really am going to have to get my newspaper reading up to date...

Steve.

"for each OCCASION wounded" ie 17 bullet holes on 1 July 1916 gave rise to one wound badge.

Gas counted as a wound.

Also ENEMY barbed wire [but not friendly]

Did you have to take a bit of barbed wire back for testing? And what about FRIENDLY gas?

;) Thanks guys , i wonder whether a witness would have had to have been present to confirm the circumstances or whether the wounded soldiers account would have been sufficient .

Regards ,

Steve .

;) Thanks guys , i wonder whether a witness would have had to have been present to confirm the circumstances or whether the wounded soldiers account would have been sufficient .

Regards ,

Steve .

G'Steve

I was of the understanding that the soldier had to be treated at a CCS or Hosp & have a notation in his papers that he was wounded, and therefore was able to wear a wnd stripe, as I have a group to an aussie who according to his papers was wnd 3 times but when I read his DVA file he was actually wnd 6 times.

Before every one asks what a DVA file is, here in aussie all soldiers that get medical treatment post war that is service related, a Deptartment Of Veterans Affairs file is created and quite often a soldier will give a lot more info about the circumstances of the illness or wnd when he visited the Dr.

The aussie above that I was relating to, in his DVA file one instance was that

"while on Gallipoli he was wnd in the right forearm, bullet hit above the wrist and caused a gash along his arm to exit at the elbow, ripping the flesh down to the bone."

He had it looked at by the RAP and went back to line, this is not on his service papers, hence NO WND STRIPE. It was not until Twenty years later he was having trouble with the arm & he had to fill in a Stat Dec, where he tells exactly where in the line the incident occurred & named one Lt Col and a Rev as witnesses so he could get a part pension.

Now I can only talk about what is available here in West Aussie, as each State in Aust hold their own respective state DVA files and I have had no need to check the other states. But it is usually a very good source of extra info on the soldier.

Regards

Peter

;) Thanks Peter , this sounds a very good system from a research point of view . I have seen various photos of soldiers wearing wound stripes on their uniforms , but was wondering whether these stripes were worn in later life on civilian dress much the same way as displaying ones medals .

Regards ,

Steve .