Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting Memorial

Boreenatra

Went to St. Andrews Church and found a couple of interesting memorials. This first one is on the south wall inside the church. (I'll post the other next.) Regards Steve.

The first two are very heartrending and personal. The third is intruiging- so stark and unusual, makes you wonder what the story is behind it.

Spike. As you can see a little bit of the ground behind the marker, it is attached to a rectangular grave plot sadly overgrown and without any markings that I could see. When I go again I'll tidy it up so it can get the respect it deserves. There are quite a few war graves that seem to be private ones ( see attachment) and I.ve taken pics of about 35 or so but have still to find 4 or 5 which I suspect are private and lie somewhere in the undergrowth there Regards Steve,

Steve

Are you researching these people? Do they make up the war memorial in Hornchurch?

John

John. As I live in Hornchurch, and can from time to time get round to the local places, I am interested in these people in so much as they are all local folk, but have found that because the area has a long and varied military and social history, it just led on from my research of family in Ireland especially the RMF. Having had my interest awakened especially by this forum it seems that by going locally and seeing how I felt about these, in some cases, long forgotten folks. Not coming from a military background as a lot of forum members do, it is more the social history element that interests me, along with the causes and effects of the Great War on Britain and in particular Hornchurch and it's environs.As i do dig deeper, like we all do I think, we have a great and growing sense of pride in each of the people who made that sacrifice.For me, by posting their memorials, even just mentioning their names is my way of bridging the years to these people. When we found my wife's great grandfathers grave in the Tralee Military Cemetery last year, it saddened me to think that we were the first family to visit since he was laid to rest in 1915 ( we know this as a fact because none of his surviving family of which there was only a few, knew where he was buried.) Added to this that Pals who are researching specific Regiments / Battalions may benefit from this, I feel that I can make a positive contribution to the forum, even though I'm one that comes from a slightly different perspective. I know there are a lot of Essex guys on the forum, and their input has helped me greatly, and I have a great respect for the work that people like yourself do. As we all find we are gripped by this fascination with the Great War and all its associated aspects, I find personally that it is a duty for us to record the life and times of these people, a lot of whom we would never know. I also feel that the next person who reads this or maybe recognises a memorial may just have the pieces of information I am looking for to help with my research. So I am happy to tramp through graveyards in order help someone else who may live on the other side of the world to find their missing pieces. The forum is also a good place to have a bitch about something so it serves a dual purpose as well!!! I'm sure you have as I have found that you learn about so many different things every day and from so many nice ( by and large!!) people that all sorts of imput by those that can and do,drive this forum to be what it is. I hope it will not change.My first ever posting said that the forum is a credit to the people who make it so, and Chris and the gang should be immensely proud of that. After all that, the actual war memorial in Hornchurch is a separate memorial and I shall post a pic. later. Regards Steve.

Steve, are you the rather odd looking chap skulking through the cemetery I have often noticed as I drive through to Upminster !!!

Patrick