Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imbros and Tenedos

oak

Colleagues,

Am I correct in believing that Imbros and Tenedos were Greek islands? If so, I'd be grateful if someone could explain how the Allies were able to use the islands as bases for the attacks at Gallipoli.

Regards,

Philip

Dear Philip,

Imros (Gokçeada) & Tenedos (Bozcaada) were Turkish till 1912. In dito year they were invaded by the Greek army (Balkan Wars). They stayed in Greek hands till 1923 (Treaty of Lausanne) when they were returned to Turkey.

As we all know most of the Balkan states Romania, Bulgaria, Greece & Turkey had a "hard time" choosing sides. Greece was no exception.

A big "disagreement" was going on between the King (Constantine) and the Prime Minister (Venizelos). V. was pro entente and wanted to participate in the Gallipoli Campaign, whereas K.C. wanted to remain neutral (his wife Sophia was the sister of the Kaiser after all !!). V. resigned in February 1915 and later that year set up a provisional government in Thessaloniki. His support came mainly from that area and the Aegean Islands.

My theory : When the British/Russian approached the Greek (early 1915) to "discuss" the invasion at the Dardanelles they agreed to send an army (division ??) to Gallipoli - probably based on the "hate" (in that period) for their (then) natural enemy. They never went ... I think that permission to land in the islands (not only Tenedos & Imros) was given in that same period ... by the government but without the approval of the King ...

I hope this can be of help to you but would be happy to read more details if someone know more

cheers

eric

The Greek PM offered to cooperate with the Entente within a week or two of the commencement of the war, however, as Turkey was still at that time undecided, it was not acted upon or encouraged, for fear of prompting Turkey to jump into the other camp. The Greeks had there own problems with the King’s in-laws etc.

After the entry of Turkey, and in the early stages of the planning for the Gallipoli campaign, a Greek army contribution was considered. This was at first welcomed by the Russians and then firmly sat upon by them once the realised that it might mean Greeks in Constantinople; something which wanted for themselves.

The British O.H. explains the problem away thus; the use of these islands by the British forces ‘created no international complications, for Turkey had not acknowledged Greek sovereignty’

Regards

Michael D.R.

Many thanks Gentlemen,

If anyone out there in the ranks has a blow by blow account of how the Allies actually gained access to the Greek Islands I'd be very grateful. (Thanks Eric for pointing out that it involved more than the two islands I mentioned. And thanks everyone else for being too polite to point out my misspelling of one of the island's names!!)

Regards,

Philip

Philip,

For a blow by blow account see chapter III of Robert Rhodes James’ “Gallipoli”

9 Feb 15; Churchill (after being in France and seeing Sir John French) gets the War Council to agree to send the 29th Division to the Middle East, probably Salonika, with a view to strengthening the pro-Entente Venizelos. The Greek PM rejects the proposal, but the important principle has been established that the 29th Div can be used outside of F & F. Therefore, if not to bring Greece into the War, then why not use them to drive Turkey out of it!

It is already looking as if the Navy will need some help in the Dardanelles; see the decision of 6 Feb 15 to send 2 battalions of Marines.

16 Feb 15; Asquith, Lloyd George, Grey, Kitchener, Churchill and Fisher met informally and agree to add the 29th Division, sending it to the Greek island of Lemnos. Units of the ANZAC in Egypt are to go to the same destination and the Admiralty is to prepare transports for a landing.

Rear Admiral Wemyss is instructed to proceed to Lemnos and assume the title of Governor with the connivance of Venizelos. The Rear Admiral is then to prepare for the arrival of troops. His new kingdom is an arid, thinly populated island whose only asset is the enormous but exposed natural harbour of Mudros. “The local Greek officials were considerably taken aback when Wemyss announced himself as the new Governor.”

Regards

Michael D.R.

ps:

Philip,

Sorry; your original question was not about Lemnos

So I should have added that in classic Dardanelles fashion [mission drift from Naval assault to major combined ops with opposed amphibious landings] Lemnos was only the beginning and that other islands were taken over in similar fashion as the need arose

Edited by michaeldr

Dear Michael,

"16 Feb 15; Asquith, Lloyd George, Grey, Kitchener, Churchill and Fisher met informally and agree to add the 29th Division, sending it to the Greek island of Lemnos. Units of the ANZAC in Egypt are to go to the same destination and the Admiralty is to prepare transports for a landing."

BUT DID THEY HAVE THE PERMISSION ???

What you point out in your last e-mail "confirms" an idea I had (Without any written confirmation though).

The Greek Islands have joined the Greek Central government "slowly but surely" since it's independence in 1830. Nevertheless islanders are islanders (still today) and have a rather independent mind.

I presume that in late 1914 early 1915 the local governors of the islands still had (if not they took it !!!) great independence and the central government being rather mixed up (King versus PM) the British saw a chance and just took the opportunity to land and even make a British rear-admiral Governor ...

Could that be correct ??

If the Greek would openly give permission I presume that Constantine wouyld get some rather angry remarks from his brother-in-law, right ???

eric

Many thanks for that Michael,

I must get my hands on a copy of Robert Rhodes James.

Regards,

Philip

• 3 months later...

The British O.H. explains the problem away thus; the use of these islands by the British forces ‘created no international complications, for Turkey had not acknowledged Greek sovereignty’

Regards

Michael D.R.

Pals,

I found the answer to my query last night, in one of my own First World War books! So I thought I'd share it with the forum.

Tenedos and Lemnos – the main base of the Franco-British fleet- became available due to the pro-Allied Greek Prime Minister Eletherois Venizelos. These and other formerly Turkish Aegean islands, had come under Greek occupation as a result of the First Balkan War, but Turkey refused to abandon de jure sovereignty over them. Venizelos removed their Greek garrisons, which, because of Turkey’s continuing claim, made them nominally ‘enemy’ territory and so open to Allied occupation. (Source R.D. Layman " Naval Aviation in the First World War: Its Impact and Influence," London 2002).

This links in with Michael's quote from the Official History.

Regards,

Philip