Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gas rattle camouflage

Tony N

Hello,

I have a 1918 dated gas rattle just like the one discussed a few weeks back only my one has traces of camouflage paint along the top metal plate.

Were these rattles painted in camouflage colours or is this something that may have been added at a later date (WWII)?

Thanks

Tony

post-6680-1117188893.jpg

post-6680-1117188910.jpg

Tony,

I do not think it is camouflage paint - this would be very unusual on such an item. I have seen these rattles with green paint on the metal frame, yours nay have traces of this mixed in with corrosion that gives the impression of camouflage.

Hello Giles,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I too think it is rather strange to have camouflaged rattle but I've attached two more pictures to show what I mean.

Can you see where what appears to be traces of a diagonal black line is separating triangles in white and green? Is it just my imagination?

Tony

post-6680-1117193823.jpg

post-6680-1117193837.jpg

• 6 years later...

I´ve got the same ww1 pattern.It comes from north France (Halluin) . Last week i asked about the colours on the rattle:

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=168508

I can´t see markings on the handle. Maybe there are markings under the thick colour ?

Could it be that the other numbers means units like company or bataillon?

I´m happy about this part in my collection.

Regards

Sven

Just from a practical standpoint, why would you take the time and paint to camouflage something which is already dark-colored and non-reflective, and more importantly, which would not normally be used in the sight of the enemy. I have a feeling this is something other than camouflage. Doc

I have seen WW2 examples done up in the bright primary colours of the "Bristol Speedway" before - possibly a similar thing (though I don't really believe that)?

I have had one of this type in blue and yellow which I think would have been a football team colours. I think post war sporting use could be considered. The black paint could just be what is left of the original black paint on the metal parts. Regards, Paul.

Just from a practical standpoint, why would you take the time and paint to camouflage something which is already dark-colored and non-reflective, and more importantly, which would not normally be used in the sight of the enemy. I have a feeling this is something other than camouflage. Doc

That wasn't the reason for my new topic. I want only show the new addition in my collection. I think the colour is only a protect against the weather and mud in field. The interested point for me is the marking trough numbers and colours .

Regards Sven

http://www.google.de/search?q=Gas+Rattle&hl=de&biw=1440&bih=701&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RJ1vTri_JMmLswbugvWsBw&ved=0CCYQsAQ

If they were re-used during WW2 then I would suggest it may have been gas detection paint.