Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Elephants in Sheffield war work

PhilB

This photo purports to show an elephant being used in a munitions work in Sheffield in WW1. Hard to believe, but is it true? Phil B

post-2329-1117188135.jpg

Hello Phil

Maybe or maybe not....but it looks like Sheffield written on the side of the tram, but then again I am a bit of a Mr Magoo.

Andy

This photo purports to show an elephant being used in a munitions work in Sheffield in WW1. Hard to believe, but is it true? Phil B

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessi...wp=8&sbid=lc02a

The link above shows the picture and states that it was originally published in the Illustrated War News on 9 February 1916. I don't know if that was a reliable source back then, but it does seem to state that it was used for munitions work in Sheffield.

• 6 months later...

The caption under the picture in IWN dated Feb 9th 1916 reads as follows.

"A popular war sight for Sheffield people is shown in the above illustration. The elephant in question, seen at work in the streets of the city, belongs to a menagerie and has been hired by a firm engaged on war work for cartage with a lorry and helping in hauling heavy loads. It does, it is stated, the work of five horses, drawing eight tons easily. Everyone, of course, knows the story of how the elephants at Moulmein, in Burmah, are regularly employed in hauling teak logs, as told in Kipling's verse. In the Indian Army elephants were used in ancient times with the heavy artillery, both in the old Mogul Empire days and in recent years in the Hyderabad Contingent for drawing the big position guns" {Photo by Topical}

Cheers.

Using an elephant from a local menagerie, that's total war illustrated in an exemplary manner.

The title drew me in "Elephants in Sheffield" -you couldn't ignore a title like that could you????

Edited by spike10764

Amongst the WWII British official photos at the IWM are a couple showing two circus elephants (Kiri a 35 year old Ceylonese elephant and Many (pronounced Mainy) a 25 year old Burmese elephant) clearing wrecked vehicles from a street in Hamburg. During the war both elephants had been used by the civil authorities in the city to clear wreckage after air raids and they continued in this role in the immediate aftermath of the war.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Germans elephants were not used for plowing!

Two elephants were working in an Engineers unit.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1135611670.jpg

C'mon you guys, this is old hat! There was this chap called Hanibal, who I believe put elephants to good wartime use? I am hurriedly searching for my copy of the Roman Times History of the War for a photo....

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Captain Blackadder made reference to elephants being used by the Germans whilst on a "patrol" :lol:

Ian

Not the Tommy Ward that destroyed all those beautiful steam locos? :angry: Phil B

Just to show I love steam engines. It's me on a recent visit to York.

post-9764-1138481989.jpg

You`re forgiven! They were never that clean in practice you know. Not on the LMS either. Except for the GWR Kings hauling Cardiff - Paddington! They gleamed. :D Phil B

Amongst the WWII British official photos at the IWM are a couple showing two circus elephants (Kiri a 35 year old Ceylonese elephant and Many (pronounced Mainy) a 25 year old Burmese elephant) clearing wrecked vehicles from a street in Hamburg. During the war both elephants had been used by the civil authorities in the city to clear wreckage after air raids and they continued in this role in the immediate aftermath of the war.

Hello Alan, am I right in thinking that there were originally four elephants in Hamburg zoo used for such war work, and that two (plus penguins) were sent to Switzerland for safekeepling? This is supposed to have inspired the Oliver Reed film Hannibal Brooks, which was fun but needed penguins.

Bruce