Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V-Beach Sketch - Camber party RDF

Orion

Hello,

I found this sketch of V-Beach on the internet some time ago but can no longer locate it. I want to identify the specific reference from where to obtain it, ie both internet site and archives; Pro Archives, Imperial War Museum, etc.

It was sketched by Captain Guy W. Geddes (later Lieutenant Colonel) of the 1st Royal Munster Fusiliers on 25 April, 1915 the day of the landings.

It is also relevant to some of the discussion centred on V Beach. Note that Captain Geddes has sketched the location of the 14 Royal Dublin Fusiliers returned from the Camber (extreme right or eastern side of sketch beside the old castle Sedd-el-Bahr).

Any help would be appreciated,

Brian

post-4774-1117127872.jpg

Brian,

I've seen the sketch before and am fairly sure that it is from the PRO Archives. I believe that the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association have a copy, with the PRO reference number. (I'm a committee member of the association). Suggest you email your query to rdfa@eircom.net, saying that I suggested you make contact.

Regards,

Philip

(Philip Lecane)

It is from WO95 you can find it in there, it is in with the War Diary of the Royal Munster Fusiliers for Gallipoli which in the same box as the 1st RDF diary if my memory serves me correct. It is down the back of the file somewhere.

Conor

The British O.H. has a version of this sketch [sketch No.9 facing page 231]

It is credited to Geddes and gives the time as 9 a.m. on 25th April

But there is much more detail in the version above

Many thanks for putting it up

Regards

Michael D.R.

Thanks to Michael, Conor and Philip for the help. With that information I will now order a copy of the sketch and then scan it.

Cheers,

Brian