Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 R Irish Rif mons & aisne

Desmond7

A wee gem I found while double checking some stuff …. Only one I can’t match up is ‘Col. Heggarty’ … anyone know who was commanding 2nd R I Rifles in this period?

Private Daniel Lorimer of the 2nd Btn R Irish Rifles has given an interesting account of his experiences. He is recovering from a wound received at the Aisne

An army reserve man, Pte. Lorimer was called up at the outbreak of war, proceeding to the front with the first BEF. He was through the Battle of Mons and describing his experiences there and on the Aisne, he said:

"We busily engaged in firing on the enemy when we got the order to fix swords in order to make a bayonet charge. Just then, the word came down from the aeroplanes scouting over the German lines that the enemy had also fixed swords ready to charge and that they outnumbered us by almost ten to one.

"We then got the order to remain where we were and when the enemy attacked, Col. Heggarty, who has since been killed, gave us the order to for three rounds of rapid firing which we did with good effect and the Germans were checked here and lost heavily.

"We subsequently retired on the right flak till we came to a little village on the 26th of the month. We opened out and the word came that the German lancers were in the village. Our artillery opened fire on the village and cleared it as far as possible and then our infantry advanced and unfortunately some considerable damage was done to them by a couple of shells fired by a British gun in the rear.

"We got the word to retire again and were lying in a green field when we were directed to return to the road and all the wounded were put on horseback and removed to a church which had been converted to a temporary hospital.

"Private David McClintock (of Garfield Place, Ballymena) was wounded in this battle, being shot in the back and he was taken to this hospital. The church was afterwards blown up by a German shell and almost all the occupants killed. I looked for Private McClintock afterwards and made inquiries about him but I could find no trace of him and I am afraid he must be dead.

"After the turning movement which led up to the Battle of the Aisne on 14th September we saw some very severe fighting. Across the river a bridge was blown up by the Germans and there was a single plank left across the river resting on a small pontoon boat on which we had to jump to get to the bank.

"As soon as 'A' coy of the Rifles got across, rifle fire was opened on us and we had to run for a plantation and later on we got cover of an embankment.

"Captain Soutery gave us orders to advance but had not gone 100 yards till he was wounded and we had to retire. Captain Durant, who was next in command, took charge and we were within 300 yards of the Germans when he was wounded on the thigh and Private Clarke who went to bind his wounded was also wounded.

"Captain Durant then gave orders for Colour Sgt. Lynas to take charge and when I was passing along this word I was wounded. The bullet passed through my left shoulder and grazed my lung. I was wounded between three and four o'clock in the morning and lay there till between five and six o'clock at night.

"Captain Durant was also lying wounded and I crawled over to get a drink out of his water bottle. I told Private Clarke that I was going to make a dash for it, but he said I was wrong to remain where I was.

"However, I made the attempt and I had only gone about fifty yards when I fell as the result of weakness and loss of blood. I had to lie there for a considerable time as the bullets both from out side and the Germans were passing close. All I was able to do was shout out 'Royal Irish Rifles' and I saw an officer in the British lines who had a maxim gun, waving on me to come on.

"I got up again and the officer, whom I do not know, but belonged to one of the Irish Regiments, and who was a very plucky man kept the Maxim going till I reached safety.

"All I had by this time was my shirt and my trousers and I was in a bad state, but I was soon removed to a hospital on the outskirts of Paris. Private Abernethy of Harryville who was wounded in the leg and Private T. McCluggage (formerly of Thomas Street, Ballymena) who had one of his fingers shot off were with me and looked after me in the train.

"The French people were very good to us all along the line and my comrades gave me my share of the good things which were offered to us. I also saw Private Joe Richardson of Harryville in the battle and Private Jack Martin of Ballymena too. I am sorry to say that Private Martin was killed and I fear Pte McClintock met the same fate."

Name: McCLINTOCK, DAVID

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 26/08/1914

Service No: 7300

Additional information: Son of Patrick and Sarah McClintock, of Flag Lane, Ballymena, Co. Antrim.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL

Name: MARTIN, JOHN

Initials: J

Date of Death: 18/09/1914

Service No: 8490

Additional information: Son of the late John and Kathleen Martin, of Ballymena; husband of Margaret Martin, of 52, Abercorn Rd., Londonderry.

Cemetery: LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL

Name: RICHARDSON, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Date of Death: 24/10/1914

Service No: 8068

Additional information: Son of James and Isabella Richardson, of 7, Alfred St., Ballymena, Co. Antrim.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 42 and 43.

Cemetery: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Good account.

The only likely candidate for your commander that i can find from ODGW is Capt Edward Hegarty, 3rd Bn , attached 2nd. KIA 3/9/16.

But if your man was recovering from wounds, say 1914/15, and is saying the CO has been killed then it can't be him.

John

I think either the reporter has got the name wrong or Lorimer merely believed the man had been killed. As you say, a wee cracker of an account all the same!!

des, i think your best bet might be' there's a devil in the drum' by john lucy.

enoch

Hells Bells!!! Forgot about that. Wonder how it matches up ... Annette is next port of call!

PS Enoch ... not bad eh?

not bad is an understatement,

enoch

Des, this photo (freshly taken) is looking across to the north bank of the Aisne, very close to where the RIF crossed the 'bridge'.

Robert

post-1473-1117129128.jpg

Great pic Robert .. thanks for that. NOw off to hunt through the history.

Cheers

Have checked official history ... all ties in with exception of 'Heggarty' ... not for the life of me can I think of an explanation except for journalist error.

But that rarely happens .... B)

Hi Des,

When you say official history, do you mean Fall's? I had a look through it and there are details of the action. If you want a scan givvus a shout. No mention of Hegarty. I had a look in the Annex that gives a Roll of Honour of the Officers (surprisinly no roll of honour for the ORs :rolleyes: !) and there is no mention of a Hegarty.

Regards,

Liam.

PS I'd look up "Theres a Devil in The Drum" for you, but I gave my Old Man a loan of it a few months back and it has mysteriously gotten jammed into his bookshelf and can't be retrieved. :lol:

Thanks Liam - checked Falls last night and it does tie in. Dunno where Heggarty comes from at all!!

Des

Hi Des,

Maybe this book will add some light on Col. Heggarty. Put it on your Xmas List :P

It's cheaper by the Euro's....

Great yarn by the way, thanks for sharing...

Liam

The Four Courts

Published:

November 2005

ISBN:

1-85182-952-0

Price:

€45/£40/$55 hbk

http://www.four-courts-press.ie/cgi/booksh...=royalIrish.xml

The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War

JAMES H. TAYLOR

Following his acclaimed The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War, James Taylor now completes his study of the regiment's Regular battalions. Having been part of 3rd Division in the original Expeditionary Force, they fought at places such as Mons, Le Cateau, the Aisne, La Bassée, Somme, Messines, and Bellewaarde, ending the war as part of 36th (Ulster) Division. They suffered in excess of 1,400 fatalities, including men from every county in Ireland.

The book gives biographical details on over 320 officers and some other ranks. In addition to the awards and casualty lists, details are given of the 269 men who were court-martialled, including a transcript of the trial of the only member to be executed.

James H. Taylor, a Dubliner, works as a civil servant in Co. Wexford. He is the author of the First Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War (Dublin, 2002).

320pp ills November 2005

LarneLiam -

The bold Jimmy is a member of the forum .... he's an infrequent poster but always helpful when he's online.

And I know he'd have been very interested in Lorimer's story! Pity I got it too late.

Des

The bold Jimmy is a member of the forum .... he's an infrequent poster but always helpful when he's online.

Thanks Des, glad I made a promotion for his book ;)

Have you read this:-

THE BATTLE OF THE AISNE - 13TH SEPTEMBER - THE PASSAGE OF THE AISNE

http://batmarn1.club.fr/edmoch19.htm

CHAPTER XX - THE BATTLE OF THE AISNE 14 SEPTEMBER THE FIGHT FOR THE CHEMIN DES DAMES

http://batmarn1.club.fr/edmoch20.htm

CHAPTER XXI - LAST DAYS ON THE AISNE

http://batmarn1.club.fr/edmoch21.htm

Private Daniel Lorimer of the 2nd Btn R Irish Rifles account and then reading the above gives me food for thought and wonderment.

Some good maps.

Liam

Just been there - would you believe it!!?

Now off to get nurofen for resulting headache.

Des

Just been there - would you believe it!!?

Now off to get nurofen for resulting headache.

Did the crack of the rifle fire get to you?

What about those shells?

Give anybody a bloody headache?

Liam

Here's Rfn. Lorimer

post-1582-1117289353.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update ... amazing what old clippings people keep in photo albums ...

Lorimer Family Record

Rifleman Killed

Was in Dunkirk Epic

Mr. William Lorimer, Alexander Street, Ballymena received notification during the week that his son Rfn. William Lorimer RUR and recently attached London Irish has been killed in a road accident in England ...

Deceased aged 23, took part in fighting in Belgium/France ... at Dunkirk had to swim out to rescue ship and was dragged on with literally nothing but his gas helmet. Ship bombed and machine gunned .. gets home .. gets leave ... killed in road accident on return to unit.

Now here's the WW1 part which is of interest ..

'Proud Record'

It is questionable if any other local family can better or even equal the proud army record of the Lormers.

A brother of the deceased is serving with the London Irish Rifles.

Their father Mr. Wm. Lorimer served with the RIR in the South African War and again offered himself for the 1914-18 campaign during which he took part in several major engagements and was wounded. He subsequently volunteered for the Russian Exped. Force with the RAOC but the frozen Northern waters prevented their embarkation and he spent a year in London. On his return in 1921 he joined the Norfolk Regt. during the troubled period in Ireland and helped restore order to Belfast.

Four of his brothers also offered their services in the last war with Germany and one of them, Mr. DANIEL LORIMER (Fountain Place) was awarded the DCM while serving with the RIR.

Another, Mr. David Lorimer (Clarence Street) lost a leg also with the RIR.

Sgt. Major John Lorimer served in Salonika and France with the R Innis Fus while the fifth brother, Rfn. Samuel Lorimer is again serving his country with the Rifles.

Nor is this all, for the record extends even further. Nephew of Mr. Wm. Lorimer are serving with the following units:- James as an observer with the RAF; William as a Lce Cpl. with the RUR; George with the RA; and James with the Royal Navy.

His grandson, Hugh O'Neill and his son in law Patrick Millar are with the RUR.

Whew.

• 1 month later...

Just a thought, but maybe Col Hegarty should read Cpl Hegarty?

Makes sense ... after all Cpl. Hegarty would be the most likely to give such orders to a squad of riflemen!!!

Never thought of that.

Seems the rest ties in then Jimmy?