Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 90th anniversary

burlington

There have been a few postings referencing next year's anniversary.

As one who has spent a week in getting accommodation for 4 people for 4 days over that period, successfully as it happens, and also been trying to get my head around where ceremonies etc will be held (a bit early for that I know), I wonder whether there is some way that this Forum could act as an information coordinator for anything that our Pal colleagues want to know.

I know an individual topic thread might do, but these can get lost in the maelstrom of other postings. An individual Forum (chapter) might be appropriate but some might see this as being 'over the top' (no pun intended), though it would certainly do the job.

Of course, other anniversaries have not been so arranged, but the Somme is more accessible for more people that, eg Gallipoli, and may attract more people.

What do we, and particularly Chris Baker, think?

Martin

Martin,

I think it is a very good idea. I am starting to plan next year and while I know there will be a lot on around the 1st of July, I am particularly interested in the attacks on Bazentin and High Wood which were about 2 weeks later.

As I live in Australia, I have to carefully look at all options, which will include accomodation, etc as I have to travel a bit further. I look forward to further contributions.

I know the last Pals tour has just finished but even if Chris was able to put out early feelers for next year, it would certainly help me and perhaps others.

Peter

I second Peters comments, I will be coming from New Zealand. Thought I had better get up there and meet some of you pals who have helped me greatly with my research

cheers Aaron.

I started this thread on the Royale Picardieas offering some guidance in mind. Certainly booked for next 1 July, it did become obvious that there is a lot of information out there in the collective experiences of all the Pals.

Andy

I don't know if the Picardie is full but the de la Paix AND t'other hotel in Albert whose name escapes me SAY that they are booked up.

The usual B&Bs on the Somme, eg Avrils, Berafray etc etc are booked completely or almost so BUT there are a few that are not but these are outside the most popular Somme areas.

If you want further info please email me off forum BUT my info is aleady 1 week out of date.

Martin

I think it an excellant idea,

in the past there has always been someone asking 'what, where, time?' etc

Perhaps the pals 'over there' could co-ordinate it?

Opps 'I'll keep my head down while the bombs are flying from 'over there!'

Mandy

I am a little surprised that there has been a distinct lack of real interest in this idea.

We can get lots of interest in the question of using the Forum as some sort of dating agency but when it comes to the question of hard questions about our role then I think we may be a little fragile.

What do we think?

I for one will BE THERE. Will YOU??

Martin; I for one am happy to contribute to any area of the forum that is set up for this purpose, but I am thinking (hoping) the Somme tourist authorities will be putting up details on their site? I have a new website I have been working on especially for the anniversary which will be going live sometime after the summer, and details - as and when I have them - will also be on there.

But what you really need is input from Chris Baker is this idea is ever to get beyond this thread.

Paul

Are you really hoping that the Somme tourist people will get their act together? I wonder!

It seems to me that this Forum ought to:

- act as an information base as to what remembrances are going to take place, and when

- act as a contact exchange about accommodation

- ditto about travel issues

- ditto about spare places in vehicles going over.

- coordinate PALS meet-ups

and anything else we can think of!

Martin

As I have posted elsewhere I am hoping to bring a small party of adults/students over for the 1st July 2006. The current plan is to cross over on the Thursday, spend Friday and Saturday on the battlefields and return home on Sunday.Our visit will concentrate on sites connected with our school and relatives of people on the trip. Our focus for commemoration will almost certainly be Montauban, where 3 Bury Grammar School boys died on 1st July with the Manchester Pals, as well as the great-uncle of one of my colleagues who is hoping to come. I haven't fixed the detailed itinerary but other obvious sites are Serre (where a BGS old boy was wounded on 1st July with the Accrington Pals and my own great-uncle was killed on 13th November) and Delville Wood, where my great-uncle fought and a Bury Grammar School captain was killed on a raid. Twenty Bury Grammar School pupils died in the Battle of the Somme.

Very happy to set up a forum space for this. Maybe it should have some subsections along the lines of those proposed by burlington. I'll try to do this later today. Once I have, please place your comments and ideas regarding the way it is structured, on this thread.

Chris - can I ask for anything.....?

Won't be there for the anniversary due to work, but will be holidaying with the family in the last week of July. Can't remember exactly where we are based but somewhere near Albert.

i am thinking about going over to see my GG uncles grave on the 18th of septmber, the (90 years after his death). I am also interested in going on the 1st of July. Would you suggest going on a tour or on my own.

thanks

dave

Would you suggest going on a tour or on my own.

Good and bad points to each (although I've done a tour myself).

Good points of a tour is that you don't have to fuss about driving or other arrangements. And it comes with a guide who, hopefully, will be experienced and knowledgable.

Good point of "on your own" is the total flexibility. You get to go exactly where you want, when you want and stay at a particular location for how long you want.

The two relatives I have buried in Belgium & France are in cemeteries that are off the usual tourist route so it is probable that I wouldnt have been able to buy a "package" tour that included visits (although there are some "personal guides" who will custom build a trip for you).

Hope this helps

John

Dave

I would always go for a DIY approach BUT on the 1 July next year and therabouts, it took me a week to get accommodation for 4 nights for 4 people in the general area.

The 2 reasonable priced hotels in Albert are booked up, or say they are, and many B&Bs locally likewise. Perhaps a gite might be more readily available.

On the other hand, a guided tour company will probably be able to 'magic' accommodation from somewhere.

Good luck

Martin

• 1 month later...

I was told a couple of weeks ago that every hotel is already posting 'full' for next 1st July weekend as are most if not all other B&Bs, etc.

Apparently some campsites say that they still have places for caravans.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that every hotel is already posting 'full' for next 1st July weekend as are most if not all other B&Bs, etc.

Apparently some campsites say that they still have places for caravans.

With respect, I would suggest it would be more helpful that known factual details about accommodation be posted here rather than just hearsay or speculation. I cannot see how that can help anyone: either user or provider.

While it is likely that most hotels in and around Albert are full, I know for a fact that is not true for Arras or Amiens; and also Peronne in some cases. British B&Bs may also be full, but again I also know some French run ones that have rooms.

I am currently contacting all the B&Bs and hotels on the Somme and asking if they have any space for next year; these details will then be posted on my Somme Battlefields website in September.