The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Journee Serbe 1916 medallion

Moonraker

One of the artefacts in the museum at the Pembroke Arms pub in Fovant, west of Salisbury is a cheap medallion stamped into soft metal. It looks like a woman in flowing robes wielding a sword and carrying a shield. In the background are bodies and a field gun. Around the edge are words thought to read "Journee Serbe 1916".

Any ideas about this? I suspect it was just something produced to mark the struggles of beleaguered Serbia.

(The museum relates to the WWI army camps in the vicinity, and elsewhere in the Fourm are details and a scan of the military badges in the hillside, some of which are still visible. I had heard that the Pembroke Arms had closed but when I passed it two weeks ago (at 8 in the morning) it looked to have been re-opened. A local resident with whom I correspond confirms that the pub has been redecorated and the collection cleaned, catalogue and re-arranged.)

Terry

The Journée Serbe was commemorated on 25 June 1916 in France to raise funds for the Serbian refugees who had fled to France after the invasion of Serbia in 1915. Probably this is a cheap souvenir sold for this purpose.

Dave

Terry

The Journée Serbe was commemorated on 25 June 1916 in France to raise funds for the Serbian refugees who had fled to France after the invasion of Serbia in 1915. Probably this is a cheap souvenir sold for this purpose.

Dave

Thanks for very speedy response; shall email it on to the original enquirer; she'll get it before the snailmail letter I posted this morning!

Terry

• 7 years later...

I Have seen two forms of this - plain white metal and a gilded version. I believe they original cam with a tricolour ribbon to attache them to the lapel.

The french produced several quite dramatic posters for the 25th June 1916 - Serbian day.