Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 60

paullaw1155

After visiting hill 60 on our last trip. I noted the position of the firing bay was pointing away from Ypres this did not register anything unusual until we crossed the railway bridge past the memorial to the resistance fighters. we then past through a gate leading into a wood, upon entering the wood I noticed another old block house with the firing bay pointing in the direction of Ypres. Why would this be so??. was this the usual way that block houses were positioned. i.e Front and rear Cover.???. There was also a huge crater in the wood does it have a name?? or is it just another Crater ???. see attached image to give idea of size.

No doubt some pals will have some answers.

Paul

Not too sure what you mean about the firebays and block-houses, but that looks like "The caterpillar crater" to me.

Dave.

Paul, if you mean the machine-gun post on Hill 60 - the one with the two slits for the machine guns to fire through, yes- it does face away from Ypres. That's because it's a British construction, built to keep the Germans down on the "wrong side of Hill 60, so if faces the German positions. It was built after the British had captured the crest of the hill. It's actually built on top of a German machine gun post.

Tom

Paul, if you mean the machine-gun post on Hill 60 - the one with the two slits for the machine guns to fire through, yes- it does face away from Ypres.  That's because it's a British construction, built to keep the Germans down on the "wrong side of Hill 60, so if faces the German positions.  It was built after the British had captured the crest of the hill.  It's actually built on top of a German machine gun post.

Tom

Yes that what I meant,

Thanks to both of you for answering my question

Cheers

Paul