Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Charles Cross

Chris

Hi all.

Little puzzle on this man as i cannot find him on CWGC or SDGW, although someone will probably find him straight away now. Article below shows that Charles Cross was buried in Scunthorpe in 1917, and from the text clues of him arrriving in France Jan 1916 and wounded 1st July 1916, it would tend to indicate he was a member of the Grimsby Chums (10th Lincs) originally. His cap badge is definately Lincs Regt, but i appreciate he may have transferred to another unit by the time of his death. Have only found one possible on the MIcs and that is Pte 1342, a number that again indicates him being in the Chums. Can anyone help me find him on either CWGC or SDGW

Cheers

Chris

post-1012-1117027290.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just thought i would give this another go by putting it back to the top. Have looked round the cemeteries in Scunthorpe and still cannot find him.

Lee (this is my 'Frank Hill'), the soldier who i have details on and annoyingly cannot find.

Anyway if anyone can offer any suggestions please do so

Cheers

Chris

Chris

This may be Charles William Cross on 1901 Census.

Charles Wm Cross

14 years old

Born: Bootle

Res: Stapeley, Wybunbury, Cheshire

Grocers Warehouse Boy.

Father Joseph Cross Born: 1865 East Keal, Lincolnshire Groom and Domestic Gardener

Mother Jane Cross Born: 1865 Ludlow

Sister Violet Annie Cross Born: 1897 Liverpool

This is the only Charles Wm I can find who had a connection with the grocery trade and a link with Lincolnshire.

Myrtle

Chris,

Now you have me going and looking for you and I can't find him either.

Tried Cross, Ross and Gross.

Tried looking through the four cemeteries in Scunthorpe!

Perhaps he is one that got away or his family did not want a CWGC headstone and he is in the family plot.

Where do we go now?

Mandy

Hi

Mandy thanks for looking, i would tend to veer towards the non CWGC headstone theory, the only problem being i still cannot find him when i have walked round all four cemeteries in Scunthorpe, particularly the one nearest to west Street, but i will revisit this weekend in case i have made a mistake and missed it.

I am sure he must be somewhere but will just have to keep trying.

Myrtle thank you for the census information, which i will add to Charles Cross's file and may help determine him once i have some possibles

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Have you asked the keeper of the cemeteries? He may be able to help you locate a family plot if there is one or better still tell you where he buried. I would think that you would probably have to visit during the week, I know from visiting the cemetery in Brighton after 2 hours and not finding what we wanted we went back when the office was open and found our grave straight away.

Hope this is of help to you.

Mandy

Bit more digging and abit more information. Got the download for 1342 Charles William Cross, and gives a lot more useful info. Gives enlistment date of 23/1/15 which combined with his number fits perfectly to him being in the 10th Lincs (Grimsby Chums). But also gives him as being discharged from the army as sick (392 xvi); which i believe menas unfit for military service, and the date of discharge as 13/6/1917. Given the date of the paper and the info in the article it seems he died only a few days later on 22/6/17. So it would seem that he was discharged prior to his death hence a possible reason for his non appearance on CWGC and SDGW. I would guess that he did die from the same sickness as admitted to hospital with whilst in the Army, but need to prove this with official documentation.

Still cannnot find his grave though and double checked with the Monumental Inscription cards in the library that cover the Scunthorpe Cems.

Where now?

CHRIs