Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Records of Individual Ships

JEB

I have a full list of ships that my grandfather served on during WW1 and have been searching the internet for information about them.

Having found out what types of ships they were, when they were launched, etc, I was wondering whether anyone could advise me on how best to find out about where they went and what they did? Presumably there are official records (ship's logs?) somewhere. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in anticipation.

John

I have a full list of ships that my grandfather served on during WW1 and have been searching the internet for information about them.

Having found out what types of ships they were, when they were launched, etc, I was wondering whether anyone could advise me on how best to find out about where they went and what they did? Presumably there are official records (ship's logs?) somewhere. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Knowing nothing about the RN, my first stop would be "Jane's fighting ships"

I don't know a lot about that either, but they seem to be the one consistent authority on RN and also other weaponry.

As for actual direct histories and duties, log books, which I have a vauge recollection that some were kept at kew, but one of the RN experts can answer that much more effectively than I could.

regards

doogal

Edited by doogal

John

There is a wealth of knowledge in the membership of the forum. I would suggest. that you list names and dates here.

This is a useful web-site.

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

Dave

John,

Now that you know the type of vessel that he served on, try and find out about the type, [ie battleship, then try Oscar Parkes British Battleships where you will find the class of the vessel. Then move on to the Battle Honours awarded to them! This will help you find the theatres that they served in as well as the engagements they took part in.

Ships of the Royal Navy Vols 1 & 2 J.J. Colledge

[ I would say that these are an essential item to have. ]

British Warships 1914-1919 F.J. Dittmar & J.J. Colledge.

[ This is also a useful book. It will give you all details of the ship to start you

off]

British Warship Names Capt. T.D. Manning & Cdr., C.F. Walker.

[ This book is scarce, but it will help with the definition of the name, plus give

you a list of the Battle Honours awarded to the name.]

Companion to the Royal Navy David A. Thomas.

[ This will also give you a list of the Battle Honours awarded to the

name.]

Once you have found the information on the vessel that you require, you can then look for the engagements and hopefully find the part played by the vessel in it!

Last of all "Ship's badges"! The badges bourne on the ships prior to 1919 were

unoffical or what are call 'unsealled patterns'. Badges for ships were being sealled from this time, however, not every vessel had a badge.

Regards

Arthur

I would add Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy Lt. Cdr., B. Warlow.

Jane!s fighting ships of ww1 turns up in remaiunder shops or in secondhand book shops at a realistic price.I think I payed £10 for mine.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Janes does not give service histories. It covers construction details, keel laying dates, guns fitted etc. The only reference to "service" is a list of ships sunk during the FFW, how, who by and dates.

Best wishes

David