Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devonshire Cemetary

Mike Steele

I went to the Devonshire cementary on Tuesday and it is sad to see it in quite a poor state. I guess it is due to the sheer volume of visitors in such a small space but they have had to rope off a narrow walkway to allow the grass to recover and grow around the graves.

Perhaps the CWGC should consider putting down mats to protect the ground from the tramp of hundreds of feet ??

A real shame as I always think it as being one of the prettiest and most peaceful places on the Somme.

Guest Hill 60
A real shame as I always think it as being one of the prettiest and most peaceful places on the Somme.

Mike - Got to agree with you there. Of all the cemeteries I visited on my first visit to the Somme (3 years ago) I found this one to be the most peaceful.

I suppose when a cemetery has a particular 'grab' for the pilgrims, i.e. the grave of a famous person etc, then it will suffer more wear & tear than some others.

The trouble with putting mats down, as far as I can see, is that they would have to be quite wide so that groups could pass by each other quite comfortably; this, I think, would spoil the look of the place.

The use of the plastic interlocking "mesh" which is sunk to ground level as at Tyne Cot would probably be the answer.

Bob.

It was my understanding that the cemetery was in the process of being re-turfed; there is an 'intermediate' phase when this is done when the cemetery looks scruffy... I suspect this is what you have seen. In April it had no grass at all, and was all mud. Occasionally this type of work has to be done, especially in cemeteries where there are lots of visitors like this one.

There are a number of cemeteries which seem to suffer from a surfeit of visitors feet. I have often thought that parts of Tyne Cot look well worn as do bits of Essex Farm. I think this is inevitable and whilst the CWGC do their best the sheer volume of visitors under all sorts of weather conditions can mean that it becomes almost impossible to maintain the perfect turf we see elsewhere in lesser visited corners.

I am also aware that Gallipoli cemeteries are suffering. In this case it is more from drought/lack of water as the area becomes drier than it once was. One initiative on the peninsula has been the removal of trees from the cemeteries and their surrounds. If one doubts the seriousness of dry years one only has to look at the corner of the Helles Memorial which is slowly and slightly subsiding - though this is constantly monitored.

In terms of the volume of visitors I think we should be grateful that so many go to pay their respects and/or learn about what happened and see how many rest in peace in that corner of so many foreign fields. The wear is a small price to pay for this act of remembrance some 85 or 90 years on.

Guest Simon Bull

I wonder if some of the wear and tear at some of the larger cemeteries (and I have in mind particularly Tyne Cot) could be saved by opening more than one easily accessible entrance. Wear and tear tends to be concentrated around the entrance.

Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Don't you think that depends how it is done though Paul?

Eg at Tyne Cot

(1) Small non-obtrusive un-arched (ie just a small gap cut in the wall) entrances at either side cut into the side walls near to the front, so that people parking at either end of the front parking bay might be inclined to use them.

(2) If a new car park is built at the back, some kind of undramatic entrance at one end of the memorial wall.

I agree it is a difficult issue, but I have never yet seen Tyne Cot without the grass around the entrance looking a mess. This is not fault of the CWGC, just sheer weight of visitor numbers.

Simon Bull

There is no doubt you are right about the entrance at Tyne Cot, but when you look at an aerial photo as in Giles's then and now books the symmetry of this place is wonderful and I would not disturb it.

Guest Simon Bull

I can entirely see your point of view Paul. I suspect that this sort of problem is going to become quite significant at some of the busier cemeteries as interest in the Great War grows and Continental travel becomes even easier

Simon Bull